Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: United States
      That charge pipe pie-cut fabrication is slick! Love the build.

Had a productive weekend on the Camaro. After reviewing the pie cut charge pipe and thermo fan setup I decided to change the design. I was running a single thermo fan that interfered with the charge piping hence the pie cut design. After measuring this was not the best option. It would not leave enough clearance for the Wegner accessory drive kit and the lower mandrel bends in the charge system looked a bit out of place with the pie cut top pipe.

I decided to get a new radiator shroud build so I could run 2 thermo fans which has given more clearance in the center where the main charge pipe enters the throttle body. This extra clearance has allowed me to use a 4 inch mandrel bend opposed to the pie cut bend. This design also gives me adequate clearance to run the Wegner accessory drive. While the pie cut did look racy I am happy with the updated design which flows better and has symmetry in the engine bay.
      Name:  Charge pipe 4.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  444.0 KBName:  Charge pipe 5.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  432.9 KBName:  Charge pipe 6.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  435.7 KBName:  Charge pipe 7.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  510.3 KBName:  Charge pipe 8.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  467.5 KBName:  Wegner acc drive.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  158.1 KB

Started mounting turbos now. I have the passenger side header all tacked together and turbo clamped in place. Surprisingly it fits in the inner fender really neatly. There is plenty of room for the exhaust to exit the turbo without interfering with anything. Now to start on the drivers side which will be a little more tricky.
      Name:  Passenger side turbo mounted 2.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  454.4 KBName:  Passenger side turbo mounted 3.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  358.5 KBName:  Passenger side turbo mounted 4.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  490.5 KBName:  Passenger side turbo mounted.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  442.4 KB

Progress continued on the turbo mounting today. Both turbos are now mounted. I was pretty good at removing an reinstalling the headers by the end of the exercise! There was alot of trial and error to get the angles correct where the pie cuts meet the headers. I am happy with how it turned out. If I did it again I would have ordered mirror image turbos to satisfy my OCD but not to worry. Next step is to mount wastegates and build the dump pipes. I ordered some ICT billet remote coil mounts today. I would like to mount the coils to the engine block behind the engine mounts but am concerned regarding the heat from the dump pipe that will be running right past. I will mock it up and see how close the pipe comes.
      Name:  Turbos mounted 1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  458.5 KBName:  Turbos mounted 2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  459.1 KBName:  Turbos mounted.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  527.8 KB

Are the turbos supported by anything other than the headers?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Are the turbos supported by anything other than the headers?
      I am going to support the turbos from the radiator support panel to the compressor housing. This will be hidden in the inner fender. I am yet to figure the design of the support out as it will need to allow some movement.

What you did looks pretty sharp and really well made, but I think a set of shorty headers would probably be better here. Shorties would give you additional room to allow the use of stainless flex pipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo, which would allow you to hard mount the turbos while allowing for engine movement.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      What you did looks pretty sharp and really well made, but I think a set of shorty headers would probably be better here. Shorties would give you additional room to allow the use of stainless flex pipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo, which would allow you to hard mount the turbos while allowing for engine movement.
      Aussie Nick
      Such an awesome job your doing on the piping fab. Support for those turbos will definitely be paramount. I know in some heavy equipment applications I've used some stainless flex pipe like bellows style as well as stainless braid styles.
      Keep Rocking
      Jaaon
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Nice job Nick, it really looks neat a mirror image.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Hi All,

I haven't updated the thread for a while. Here are some pics of the turbo pluming layout finally complete. I just need to weld it off now. Hopefully I can do that on the weekend. after looking at the pie cut design I decided to start again and go with mandrel bends. I have decided I am going to ceramic coat all of the pipe work in black. I thought the pie cut design would look strange in black as it would lose the coloured effect pie cut exhausts get from the heat. Anyway long story short I am happy with the plumbing layout.

I have added some pics of the radiator support panel. I started modifying this on the weekend to add some clearance around the turbo turbine housing for heat management. I have completed the drivers side and will now do the passenger side. Using a mild steel mandrel ben did the job perfectly.

A few other things I have done since the last update: Built a new set of stronger engine mounts, installed ridetech tru turn up front, started developing a wiring strategy for the dominator.
      Name:  Piping complete.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  455.3 KBName:  Radiator support.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  551.5 KBName:  Radiator support 1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  264.0 KBName:  Turbos mounted 1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  95.6 KBName:  Radiator support 2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  325.2 KBName:  Turbos mounted 2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  85.4 KBName:  Turbo plumbing 1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  375.6 KBName:  Radiator support 3.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  548.4 KBName:  Turbos mounted 3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  90.0 KBName:  Turbo plumbing 2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  383.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Rock on Aussie Nick.
      Great progress on the turbos and cooler. Looks fantastic. I opted for the Wegner WAK033 on my build and it's a piece of art. It did consume some room on the front of my accessories drive to my C and R Radiator bjt it's all in.
      Keep on
      Jason

TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4