Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1968 Firebird, Project Deep Purple

I've been meaning to get around to this for a very long time... I'm horrible at keeping posts up to date but I'll try lol!

Just a bit of background...
      I grew up with turbo cars. My first car was a 1991 Shelby Dodge Daytona turbo which is where the addiction began. I was stationed in Japan from 2003 to 2005 and man what a time to be there. I owned a 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-4 that I tuned quite a bit. The car scene over there was just nuts at the time. I got to build and race just about every one of the 90's to early 2000's Japanese sports cars, great times!! When I returned from overseas, I picked up a 1998 Firebird Formula with an LS1 and 6 Speed manual. That is where my obsession with LS motors started. I ended up selling that when I got stationed overseas again. I was overseas for the next 8 years. During that time, I started scheming my next build. I knew I wanted a turbo LS with a 6 speed manual in a classic car. I knew I wanted a Pontiac but that was about it. I looked at a few different cars including a 67 Lemans which I loved but it was too long to fit in my garage!! The guy who had the Lemans had a crusty Firebird as well and as bad as it was... I fell in love. Thats where this journey began. I was a machinist and welder for aircraft in the USAF (aircraft metals technology) for 18 years, so I decided to do everything myself. It's been a heck of an undertaking.. just about 4 years in the works at this point. She was very, very, very rough..
      Attached Images Attached Images              

Some more pics..

Here I'm getting the mini tubs installed and fabbing a three linked ford 9"
      Wish I had access to a tube bender to have made things cleaner but sticking with the DIY approach, I made it happen with and angle grinder and a welder. Not pretty but very solid.Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  510.8 KBName:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  359.5 KBName:  IMG_0775.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  248.5 KBName:  IMG_0799.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  261.1 KBName:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  342.9 KBName:  IMG_0985.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  364.0 KBName:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  332.6 KBName:  IMG_1002.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  283.2 KBName:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  373.4 KBName:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  366.5 KBName:  IMG_1114.jpg
Size:  305.9 KBName:  IMG_1327.jpg
Size:  274.3 KB

Skipping way ahead here since I can't find some of my pics.. It's way further down the road now but this is where I'll leave the post for now. More to come!!
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Nice build. The three link looks interesting.

Country Flag: Canada
      I am intrigued, please carry on! LOL
      The biggest thing in Motocross!
      My 97 Cougar Transcona, https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Dirty-Old-XR7

Hell yea!

Hey that's a great way to setup a 3 link man! At the time I thought I wanted to keep my backseat(I don't anymore) and it would have been way easier to go your route. Its kinda hard to tell how many holes the fameside mount has, but are you targeting a range of antisquat?. Between that and the panhard, that thing is going to be amwazing!

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

All is Camaro guys that deep want a firebird to are jealous!
      Car is coming along. Keep up the updates. Like the 3 link as well as others have said.
      I'm subscribed
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com