Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Vintage Air AC controls Gen IV

I have a friend that is considering a late model Camaro dash swap and he has Vintage Air. Does anyone know if the factory AC controls could be wired to control the VA or do they only only function with the Body Control module? I know VA has the schematic in their instructions, but it appears the Camaro radio and HVAC controls are on a single connector.

Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I recommend tossing the vintage air and use the late model HVAC unit with the late model dash...

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I have a friend that is considering a late model Camaro dash swap and he has Vintage Air. Does anyone know if the factory AC controls could be wired to control the VA or do they only only function with the Body Control module? I know VA has the schematic in their instructions, but it appears the Camaro radio and HVAC controls are on a single connector.
      Won’t work. Not even close imho....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      I recommend tossing the vintage air and use the late model HVAC unit with the late model dash...
      Can I ask why you would just toss the VA?

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Won’t work. Not even close imho....

Don
      Its not a deal breaker. We can have a dash plate made out of fiberglass and change the radio. Just curious if it would work.

Chris--

Toss is a harsh word...I mean sell it or return it etc.. I discovered when installing the 5th gen dash that the HVAC unit fit in there as well. It has more features than the vintage air and already seamlessly functions with the dash controls. My build thread on here has pictures of how I did it. I was able to include the cabin air filter as well ;)

Toss is a harsh word...I mean sell it or return it etc.. I discovered when installing the 5th gen dash that the HVAC unit fit in there as well. It has more features than the vintage air and already seamlessly functions with the dash controls. My build thread on here has pictures of how I did it. I was able to include the cabin air filter as well ;)
      I didn't take you literally...lol
      I checked your thread, see you got it in there. I don't think he will want to go that far, but now asking for myself: I see you have the gauges and everything so I'm guessing you used the BCM and everything? If I ever wanted to go that route it would be a deterrent since I'm suing Holley.

Chris--

On my build I am integrating everything from the 5th gen donor except the curtain airbags, evap and mag ride control.

On my build I am integrating everything from the 5th gen donor except the curtain airbags, evap and mag ride control.
      Got it... Nice project!

Yeah, it would be easier to do a dbl din radio conversion and make a new bezel to use a different controller for the VA.

Chris--

I'm sure that would also work. The BCM is all you would need to make the 5th gen ac work. You wouldn't need all the other components like mine is using. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

I'm sure that would also work. The BCM is all you would need to make the 5th gen ac work. You wouldn't need all the other components like mine is using. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
      Funny thing is i was asking for him, but it sounds interesting. I know he will only be willing to take it so far. If the Body control module can work in stand alone it sounds very intriguing for me.

Chris--

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it further, the HVAC uses it's own control module and will probably work standalone without the BCM but I believe the rear defrost, A/C compressor control communicate with the BCM. If it were me I would use the BCM and the ECM since you are using the dash and column can retain the VATS security as well. If you get the dash harness and the engine bay harness you can make it all work seamlessly. Anything not being utilized can be programmed out of the ECM

I'm somewhere lost in the middle. I incorporated the full dash but mostly just for cosmetics, running a PSI engine harness and all other electronics will operate alone. Speedhut gauges, alpine apple CarPlay double din headhunt controlling restored air via their 'APP' etc. I was literally working on modifying the center dash faceplate this evening to allow for a double din display and I might even install 2 gauges below it. If your friend went with vintage air controls he could easily incorporate them.

If he doesn't have it already, I think I have a tub with all of the under dash harness and maybe even the original engine harness taking up space on a shelf somewhere

Just dug up double din project 1.1 from Imgur. I ended up disliking this one and tore it apart, currently working on 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I'm somewhere lost in the middle. I incorporated the full dash but mostly just for cosmetics, running a PSI engine harness and all other electronics will operate alone. Speedhut gauges, alpine apple CarPlay double din headhunt controlling restored air via their 'APP' etc. I was literally working on modifying the center dash faceplate this evening to allow for a double din display and I might even install 2 gauges below it. If your friend went with vintage air controls he could easily incorporate them.

If he doesn't have it already, I think I have a tub with all of the under dash harness and maybe even the original engine harness taking up space on a shelf somewhere
      Its funny because I was asking for him and he has become less interested and I have become more interested...lol I already have a Camaro console installed in my car and like you my conversion would be purely cosmetic... I have VA in my car also, so i would need to figure out how to incorporate those in some sort of unit. It would require changing the control panel, but that's not major. I think the biggest part would be making something to hold a radio and ac controller. Too bad they don't have a touchscreen app like restored air does. If I could make something to hold this controller and a double din, it might be a project for next fall...

What head unit are you installing?

Maybe use this Dakota Digital controller for VAName:  va_controller.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  17.9 KB

Chris--

Just dug up double din project 1.1 from Imgur. I ended up disliking this one and tore it apart, currently working on 1.2
      Nice job on the bezel....

Chris--

Its funny because I was asking for him and he has become less interested and I have become more interested...lol I already have a Camaro console installed in my car and like you my conversion would be purely cosmetic... I have VA in my car also, so i would need to figure out how to incorporate those in some sort of unit. It would require changing the control panel, but that's not major. I think the biggest part would be making something to hold a radio and ac controller. Too bad they don't have a touchscreen app like restored air does. If I could make something to hold this controller and a double din, it might be a project for next fall...

What head unit are you installing?

Maybe use this Dakota Digital controller for VA
      That should be easy enough to mould in somewhere, perhaps into the centre console where the traction control button is. Fitting the dash is a much harder task than grafting the controls however. It required (for me) installing the entire 5th gen trans tunnel, and I still haven't figured out 100% how I will do the door panels and whether I'll use the 5th gen steering column or use ididit etc. I've also gone away from the stock center console gauges and am currently working on locations for other 2" gauges.

I'm looking to use the alpine ILX-W650 headunit with the rear mounted amplifier so I won't have to run a trunk mounted amp also.

That should be easy enough to mould in somewhere, perhaps into the centre console where the traction control button is. Fitting the dash is a much harder task than grafting the controls however. It required (for me) installing the entire 5th gen trans tunnel, and I still haven't figured out 100% how I will do the door panels and whether I'll use the 5th gen steering column or use ididit etc. I've also gone away from the stock center console gauges and am currently working on locations for other 2" gauges.

I'm looking to use the alpine ILX-W650 headunit with the rear mounted amplifier so I won't have to run a trunk mounted amp also.
      I just used a bracket on mine to support the front half, but using the tunnel is a nice way to go. You should be very please when you're done. ...

The place he was going to get his dash from is local, they may sell the entire dash support bar? It would be easier then making brakets.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Chris--

Yeah try get it all if possible, it makes for a nice mounting point for electronics etc. and should mount to the same points you made for the console if you're lucky.

Yeah try get it all if possible, it makes for a nice mounting point for electronics etc. and should mount to the same points you made for the console if you're lucky.

I just found one... I guess i need to learn how to fiberglass for the radio/ac controls...lol

Chris--

I just found one... I guess i need to learn how to fiberglass for the radio/ac controls...lol
      you can do it fairly easily. you'll need a Dremel, fiberglass repair kit, Bondo(or better), sandpaper, sandable primer(or better), all of which can be picked up from Home Depot. I should have an update soon enough on my new double din display. I'm taking my time on it because I do not want to do it again.

Like I previously said, the traction control buttons are useless on the center console, I got rid of mine to make room for window switches. would be a convenient location for your controls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com