Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ideas for coil relocation, LS3 in a first gen

I am looking for some ideas on where to put my coils. Shaved the firewall and really would like to avoid putting them there, if possible. Have heard of some people putting them inside the cab on the firewall and routing the cables to the engine bay close to the trans tunnel. Anyone have any ideas/ things they've seen that would be out of the way, but still accessible?

Country Flag: United States
      I'm also on the fence about doing this, I have aftermarket valve covers that allow the coils to sit horizontally on top which is OK, but I love the clean look of them being hidden. I think if I'm going to do it I'll mount them on the subframe, this may also allow me to use my current ignition leads

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I'm also on the fence about doing this, I have aftermarket valve covers that allow the coils to sit horizontally on top which is OK, but I love the clean look of them being hidden. I think if I'm going to do it I'll mount them on the subframe, this may also allow me to use my current ignition leads
      That’s an interesting idea and not one that I’ve seen. Thanks!

Mine are on my subframe. Depending on your front drive will determine where to place them. If i knew how to post pictures on here I would send you some

Quote Originally Posted by Senek67RS View Post
      That’s an interesting idea and not one that I’ve seen. Thanks!
      I'm sure some folks will chime in and show the examples they showed me, another option is mounted to the back of the heads, but only if you can squeeze them in, which I can't

Hope this works
      Attached Images Attached Images  

A buddy of mine has a 71 Nova with a LS swap. He mounted the coils inside right behind the glove box. Doesn't have much a glove box left. All he did was buy some bulk plug wire and cut them to length as needed. And then lengthen the coil wires. Has worked well.

I am looking for some ideas on where to put my coils. Shaved the firewall and really would like to avoid putting them there, if possible. Have heard of some people putting them inside the cab on the firewall and routing the cables to the engine bay close to the trans tunnel. Anyone have any ideas/ things they've seen that would be out of the way, but still accessible?

You hide the coils, you have a feet of spark plug wires in the engine bay. I think its silly to mount them anywhere, but where GM Intended. If you want to hide them, look into the 2 piece valve covers. Holley has them and I believe 1 or 2 others do as well. Keeps the coils in the correct location. Short plug wires for minimal voltage loss and they can't be seen.

https://www.holley.com/products/accessories/valve_covers/gm_ls_engines_valve_covers/2_piece_ls/
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Best spark plug covers that I have ever seen was Wegner

I bought anodized billet valve covers to match my intake from Shaun’s Custom Alloy and don’t want to cover them up, which is why I’m looking to relocate them. Is there a calculation for voltage loss/ per inch of wire?

My future plan for relocation is mounting on my inner wheel wells on my g-body , which I will complete underhood covers to hide them. I'll probably buy coil harness extenders rather than splice each wire twice. I may be able to get length of stock wires to work. You will see the wires running straight out from the engine rather than around it distributor style, but I don't think it's any more LS style obvious than holes in valve cover covers with wires coming out.

Name:  7C4514A9-8584-40D8-908C-59B89F531920.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  201.6 KBYou are all overthinking this. Just move the darn coil packs. Lol. Buy coil pack harness extension, msd wires for you to cut, and move them.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Name:  7C4514A9-8584-40D8-908C-59B89F531920.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  201.6 KBYou are all overthinking this. Just move the darn coil packs. Lol. Buy coil pack harness extension, msd wires for you to cut, and move them.
      I might be, but your picture doesn’t exactly show where you relocated yours to. Lol

Follow the cylinder 2 header stud down and you can see them

- - - Updated - - -

same with this. Zoom in under the alternator where the power steering pump is. You can just see the coil pack wires

Hope this works

Follow the cylinder 2 header stud down and you can see them

- - - Updated - - -

same with this. Zoom in under the alternator where the power steering pump is. You can just see the coil pack wires

now Insee them, thanks! No issues with heat from the headers?

now Insee them, thanks! No issues with heat from the headers?
      Drivers side is no where close to the headers. Passenger side has plenty of room as well. Zero issues. First figure out where you want to put them. After that find a cardboard box the size of the room you have to store them on the car. Build a mounting bracket that you know will fit inside that box.

Drivers side is no where close to the headers. Passenger side has plenty of room as well. Zero issues. First figure out where you want to put them. After that find a cardboard box the size of the room you have to store them on the car. Build a mounting bracket that you know will fit inside that box.

Thanks!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com