Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Not Level

Country Flag: United States

Not Level

Why is my car sitting 1" to 1.5" lower on drivers side? Front and rear.

'cause you heavyyyy

With all the information you provided I would say that slimjim's hypothesis is as good as anyone else's will be! Throw us a bone and tell us about you car.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      'cause you heavyyyy
      Ouch!

I just bought the car and was looking at some wheel options. It's got 2" lowering blocks in rear and was told 2" lowering springs in front. I was looking at wheel wells thinking about having them rolled and I noticed the passenger side was higher around an inch. The guy I bought it from was a pretty big man, but hasn't put a lot of miles on it. I just thought it odd for front and back to be low

Still need details to answer that question. Start with year make and model of car and we might start making better guesses. A couple pics might help too.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by mgb View Post
      I just bought the car and was looking at some wheel options. It's got 2" lowering blocks in rear and was told 2" lowering springs in front. I was looking at wheel wells thinking about having them rolled and I noticed the passenger side was higher around an inch. The guy I bought it from was a pretty big man, but hasn't put a lot of miles on it. I just thought it odd for front and back to be low
      Try swapping the springs. left for right.
      Tracey

lowering blocks?! so it's possible the leaf springs are old stock ones? bushing condition?, body bushing condition?
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

When I totally re-did ALL of my suspension and body stuff, my 69 Firebird would sit no perfect level side to side either.

After about 800 miles on all of it now, and measuring it side to side ALL the time, I have found that it just depends on how the car ends up when parked. Depending on what direction I come into the garage, people getting out of it, etc. changes it. Sometimes it's perfectly level, sometimes the driver's side is lower.

My variance has been as much as 3/4" of an inch side to side both front and rear at the most tho.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

67 Camaro SS. I don't know if the leaf springs are original or not. Previous owner is no help. I'm new to the 1st gen Camaro. It has AR TT2's 18x9 255/35 rear, 18x8 235/35 front. I am wanting to lower it about another 1"-1.5" and get it to sit level (left to right). All I know at this point is that in the rear it has disc brakes, new looking Edelbrock shocks, 2" lowering blocks and traction bars.I haven't checked out anything because I don't know what to check. So please get me started on the right path. I know this is a pro-touring forum, but I'm really just looking to lower the car on a tight budget.

Quote Originally Posted by mgb View Post
      67 Camaro SS. I don't know if the leaf springs are original or not. Previous owner is no help. I'm new to the 1st gen Camaro. It has AR TT2's 18x9 255/35 rear, 18x8 235/35 front. I am wanting to lower it about another 1"-1.5" and get it to sit level (left to right). All I know at this point is that in the rear it has disc brakes, new looking Edelbrock shocks, 2" lowering blocks and traction bars.I haven't checked out anything because I don't know what to check. So please get me started on the right path. I know this is a pro-touring forum, but I'm really just looking to lower the car on a tight budget.
      I had that same problem on my 69 Camaro. I installed new Global West A-Arms with new could springs and noticed it sat lower. Check to see if the left could spring is sitting right on you lower A-Arm. It still sat lower on the left side after I made sure the spring was in the groove (which it wasn’t) so I finally went with Coil-Over Adjustable shocks and that fixed both the front and rear leveling problem. You don’t have to spend a bank roll on them as they come in different price ranges. You can also raise and lower your ride height to your specific needs and they look cool. 😎

I don't know about Camaros, but on a Firebird the spring clocks from the top. There are tiny holes on each side for being able to see the end of the spring is all the way into its the groove. The top perch is molded in the spape of the end of the coil spring just for this.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I’d check that the coil springs are correctly in the subframe pockets.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Try swapping the springs. left for right.
      This! Also, take some pics of the suspension so we can see what you have since you apparently have no clue.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

First confirm your front and rear subframes are level with the ground left to right, that is what matters most. I see a lot of first and second gen Firebirds, maybe other GM cars too, do not have perfect symmetry in the fender panels and wheel well openings left to right, that isn’t an accurate measure of “level” only a reference to a before and after changes specific to ea corner.

Other reference points might be the door striker, The corners of the roof water channel trim, headlights?? Don’t expect perfect precision in design/manufacturing from the ‘60’s.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com