Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Need ideas

Need ideas

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado z71 with an lm7. I’m looking to beef up the engine and suspension, also looking to go AWD or if possible a way to select between AWD, 4x4 and 2wd instead of staying traditional 4x4 or 2wd Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  224.9 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Sounds to me like you need to find an appropriate donor truck.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Sounds to me like you need to find an appropriate donor truck.
      Don’t see how I would need a donor truck this one is solid. 200k on the block and still runs like new, no punckieness or holes in the frame. Like I said solid all I need to know is what transfer case or diffs that would work

Your truck is 2wd now? Do you already have a 4x4 transmission? Do you have a 4x4 front suspension? Do you have the 4x4 drive shafts? Do you have the 4x4 ECU, harness and all of the connectors? This is a money pit that I doubt you really want to get into. This swap involves a whole lot more the a transfer case and diff...
      Buying a 4x4 truck would be your cheapest and easiest way of getting this done. If you still want to undertake the changeover, a donor truck, just like Steve suggested, will get you everything you need to do the swap and get it running. Add to the cost of the swap the rebuilding or replacing of worn out parts like CV joints, ball joints, u-joints, transmissions and transfer cases...
      In my experience this is a recipe for frustration with no real gain. Sell your "solid" 2wd and don't look back. As rusty as it is I think you will find a lot of issues with the frame as soon as you open it up.
      I just want you to think this through and realize this is not a simple task...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Your truck is 2wd now? Do you already have a 4x4 transmission? Do you have a 4x4 front suspension? Do you have the 4x4 drive shafts? Do you have the 4x4 ECU, harness and all of the connectors? This is a money pit that I doubt you really want to get into. This swap involves a whole lot more the a transfer case and diff...
      Buying a 4x4 truck would be your cheapest and easiest way of getting this done. If you still want to undertake the changeover, a donor truck, just like Steve suggested, will get you everything you need to do the swap and get it running. Add to the cost of the swap the rebuilding or replacing of worn out parts like CV joints, ball joints, u-joints, transmissions and transfer cases...
      In my experience this is a recipe for frustration with no real gain. Sell your "solid" 2wd and don't look back. As rusty as it is I think you will find a lot of issues with the frame as soon as you open it up.
      I just want you to think this through and realize this is not a simple task...
      Mark
      Oh it’s a 4x4 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fugzilla View Post
      Oh it’s a 4x4 lol
      Also was planning on replacing everything that needed replacing just looking for advice on what parts I should look for ( I do work in a salvage yard)

Ah, I see, your initial post made it sound like you were wanting to go 4x4 or AWD from a 2wd...
      The mid-2000 Trail Blazers and Envoy Denali's with the V8's were part time 4x4 with 2wd as the normal mode. Their T-case should bolt up to your LM7. You will need the computer and all of the wiring as well. I don't know if the 4x4 mode ties into the anti-lock brake system or not or what changes would need to be made to the GMT360 ECU to work in the truck...
      Mark
      Mark:

Need ideas

Ah, I see, your initial post made it sound like you were wanting to go 4x4 or AWD from a 2wd...
      The mid-2000 Trail Blazers and Envoy Denali's with the V8's were part time 4x4 with 2wd as the normal mode. Their T-case should bolt up to your LM7. You will need the computer and all of the wiring as well. I don't know if the 4x4 mode ties into the anti-lock brake system or not or what changes would need to be made to the GMT360 ECU to work in the truck...
      Mark
      And there won’t be any binding issues? also I have a 4auto selection I’m looking to do full AWD as an option to the 4x4 hi,low,auto and 2 hi .... if that makes sense also I’m not afraid of a challenge

And there won’t be any binding issues? also I have a 4auto selection I’m looking to do full AWD as an option to the 4x4 hi,low,auto and 2 hi .... if that makes sense also I’m not afraid of a challenge
      Binding issues? Binding with what?
      Do you know what AWD is? AWD is what comes on the Astro and Safari vans, S10's and Blazer's. AWD is ON ALL the time... You cannot turn it off... You already have 4wd and the ability to go 2wd by pressing a button. I don't understand what you are wanting, needing, thinking you can do to make a 4x4 drivetrain into an AWD and why that would be better or any different then what you are already using... Can you explain it better?
      Very confused in MI...
      Mark:

Binding issues? Binding with what?
      Do you know what AWD is? AWD is what comes on the Astro and Safari vans, S10's and Blazer's. AWD is ON ALL the time... You cannot turn it off... You already have 4wd and the ability to go 2wd by pressing a button. I don't understand what you are wanting, needing, thinking you can do to make a 4x4 drivetrain into an AWD and why that would be better or any different then what you are already using... Can you explain it better?
      Very confused in MI...
      Ok so with 4wd you get full power to all 4 wheels not good for driving on dry pavement with awd the power goes where it is needed thus better handle and traction idk how to better explain it (4x4 4wd and 4 auto are not awd)
      (4x4 100% power to front and back )
      (Awd you get a percentage of rear to front)
      Im looking into this to make my truck a little more versatile for work and fun

Ok so with 4wd you get full power to all 4 wheels not good for driving on dry pavement with awd the power goes where it is needed thus better handle and traction idk how to better explain it (4x4 4wd and 4 auto are not awd)
      (4x4 100% power to front and back )
      (Awd you get a percentage of rear to front)
      Im looking into this to make my truck a little more versatile for work and fun
      Okay, I understand. My '94 Astro has AWD and my '08 Envoy is 4x4 or 2wd. I see no difference driving either one of them on dry pavement other then the Astro (LT1 350) won't spin a tire from a dead stop. The Envoy has a 5.3 and it will spin the back tires in 2wd mode and in 4x4 it won't... The two transfer cases and drive mechanisms are entirely different, I don't see how they can be intermingled to do what you are wanting to do...
      I think the Astro transfer case is an NP136? I know guys are swapping in S10 NP233 cases to get the 4x4 locking 4 Hi and locking 4 Lo. I don't know if that case is AWD or simply 4x4...
      Good luck with your project.
      Mark
      Mark:

Country Flag: Canada
      Silverado ss transfer case ??? Not sure what you think you need to beef up gm drivetrains in those trucks are already pretty stout and can take a $#it kicking . I know a guy who's got a single turbo 900 wheel Silverado and hes just at the busting cv joint stage
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Okay, I understand. My '94 Astro has AWD and my '08 Envoy is 4x4 or 2wd. I see no difference driving either one of them on dry pavement other then the Astro (LT1 350) won't spin a tire from a dead stop. The Envoy has a 5.3 and it will spin the back tires in 2wd mode and in 4x4 it won't... The two transfer cases and drive mechanisms are entirely different, I don't see how they can be intermingled to do what you are wanting to do...
      I think the Astro transfer case is an NP136? I know guys are swapping in S10 NP233 cases to get the 4x4 locking 4 Hi and locking 4 Lo. I don't know if that case is AWD or simply 4x4...
      Good luck with your project.
      Mark
      Yea fasterproms on YouTube has an awd s10 project kinda how I desired I wanted to go awd .... as far as the burnouts on awd you need a lockout for the tif to put all power to main drive wheels if you watch keenblocks hoonacorn makeing the only way he could do a burnout at a dead stop was if he had it chained

Not really familiar with what 4x4 stuff you already have in your truck but my Trailblazer SS is awd so might be able to use a transfer case from one of those.

Well I'd be saying that unless you got your truck like ken blocks or Jeremy's s10 ... you're going to need well over 1000 hp to get similar results at a minimum. At that point I'd say you're going to have other things to worry about first . If you want a quick fun street truck . Chuck a supercharger on yours and a awd transfer case from a Silverado ss .

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Need ideas

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Well I'd be saying that unless you got your truck like ken blocks or Jeremy's s10 ... you're going to need well over 1000 hp to get similar results at a minimum. At that point I'd say you're going to have other things to worry about first . If you want a quick fun street truck . Chuck a supercharger on yours and a awd transfer case from a Silverado ss .
      I’m not looking to get to ken block or Jaremys status with the truck just something I can play in the corners with that will be more stable. In hp numbers I’m looking for around 450 to 700hp. The ken and Jeremy thing was in reference to the burnout statement

Well 450 to 700 is a heck of a range but ok ,I'd still stick with what I said a bolt on charger , maybe head and cam work too . Stick a SS transfer case in it and maybe lower it too . Relatively simple lol

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Well 450 to 700 is a heck of a range but ok ,I'd still stick with what I said a bolt on charger , maybe head and cam work too . Stick a SS transfer case in it and maybe lower it too . Relatively simple lol
      Honestly 450 is easy tones of guys have budget lm7 builds over 450 besides I was planning on a cam and spring swap and forced induction of some sort also possibly bag or some kinds of adjustable suspention

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com