Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

18 x 8 1/2 on 69 Camaro front?

I'm looking for new wheels for my 69 Camaro. I currently have Billet Specialties Ventec 17 x 8 with 4 1/2 backspace and 235/50x17 Bridgestone tires all around. The car is lowered with ridetech coilovers in front and Hotchkis with 1 inch lowering blocks in rear. Ground to bottom of fender lip is just under 24 inches front; 24 1/2 rear. I run negative 1/2 degree camber in front to stay away from the inside fender lip due to the 4 1/2 backspace; it should be 4 3/4. The inside of the fender has been "clearances" with a hammer and the top fender bolts removed. It still rubs occasionally. Rear clearance is fine.

I'm looking to go to 18 inch wheels. I'd like to go 8 1/2 wide in front. Is anyone running a 8 1/2 wheel in front? What backspace are you using? My subframe is stock with ridetech strong arms and coilovers.

Thanks for any input.

Joe
      Joe G
      69 Coupe; ZZ430;TKO 600 5 speed; 3.55 posi; 13" Baer 4 wheel discs; 17" Billet Specialties wheels; Hotchkis/Koni rear; Ride Tech Strong Arms and coilovers front; Classic AutoAir AC and power windows now cuz I'm old and lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by joe g View Post
      I'm looking for new wheels for my 69 Camaro. I currently have Billet Specialties Ventec 17 x 8 with 4 1/2 backspace and 235/50x17 Bridgestone tires all around. The car is lowered with ridetech coilovers in front and Hotchkis with 1 inch lowering blocks in rear. Ground to bottom of fender lip is just under 24 inches front; 24 1/2 rear. I run negative 1/2 degree camber in front to stay away from the inside fender lip due to the 4 1/2 backspace; it should be 4 3/4. The inside of the fender has been "clearances" with a hammer and the top fender bolts removed. It still rubs occasionally. Rear clearance is fine.

I'm looking to go to 18 inch wheels. I'd like to go 8 1/2 wide in front. Is anyone running a 8 1/2 wheel in front? What backspace are you using? My subframe is stock with ridetech strong arms and coilovers.

Thanks for any input.

Joe
      I installed a Ridetech Tru-Turn front suspension with coil-overs on my 69 Camaro, I’m very happy with the results. I contacted Ridetech on Wheel sizes and they sent this back:
      Ridetech Wheel Size

Keep your offset as close to +6mm on a first gen as possible and that should center the wheel between the subframe/fender and the frame rail/quarter panel as possible.

Ideal backspacing for maximum clearance is as follows:

17x7 = 4.25"bs
      17x8 = 4.75"bs
      17x8.5 = 5" bs
      17x9 = 5.25"bs
      17x9.5 = 5.5" bs

Wheel diameter is irrelevant, it's the same for any 17"/18"/19" wheel.

Country Flag: United States
      One comment, I noticed you said you removed the top inner to outer fender bolts. I know the heads on the stock fender bolts are not compatible with close tire clearance which is why I replaced all my stock bolts with 5/16"x 5/8" button head hex drive bolts. Even if the tire does make contact with the bolt it does no damage to the tire.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Billet Specialties Fender Bolts flush mount

Billet Specialties makes the bolts to buy for the front fenders:

http://www.billetspecialties.com/stainless-pro-bolts/

Not cheap, but worth it.

Take a bolt to ACE Hardware and buy a button head with hex center. I think I paid less than $3 for all 4 of them together.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I got my button head 5/16x5/8 bolts from McMaster-Carr.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com