Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help. Header clearance issue.

I have a 69 Firebird, with a Chevy 350 motor, It is bored out to 408 stroker. I am no mechanic or restorer. Other day they installed motor and went fine, when put headers on they did clear steering box by 1/4 inch. Problem was down low. Driver's side barely hit, had to dimple. But passengers side was bad, they had steering turned all the way to right when installed, they later noticed that when they tried to turn wheels back to left they could not. Where centerlink meets with Idler it hit pretty good. It does have 69 Firebird steering linkage. Does anybody out there have 69 Firebird with Chevy motor? I am told that if swap out all 69 Bird linkage with 69 Camaro linkage it would work. They actually are different. Or go with rack and pinion. Please help. Anybody know for sure what to do? Thanks . Jerry

I would look into a R&P upgrade.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

The Firebird and the Camaro are both "F" bodies And use the same frame . I had a friend of mine swap a big block Chevy in place of the 400 Pontiac engine of which had gone south. of which ha no issues I would go with another brand of headers such as Hooker .Doug Thorley Just tell them what you did.I wish you luck.

Thanks for replies. I actually have the Hooker now (2131-1. Ceramic coated). I called Hooker and Hedman , both said they do not offer a swap header for Chevy motor into 69 firebird. Just have to go with the Chevy header. Would a rack and pinion rear steer work or would I need a front steer?

Rack conversions perform poorly imho. Bumpsteer and header fit issues are common.

Try the Camaro center link. They are easy to find.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com