Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Mustang coupe road racer

Hey guys I am looking at what suspension styles and components are best for transforming my 67 mustang into a track beast. car needs everything from ground up. I have been trying to research the best suspension and differences between upgraded stock style stuff I.e. global west vs Heidts vs maier vs gatway mustang. The car will be used for serious race abuse no compromises for street use are necessary. I will be installing and building the car myself and would like to stay under 10g for complete roller suspension package.

Goals for the car-
      nasa AI or AIX
      500rwhp
      FI 351w

Country Flag: United States
      ridetech has great upgraded stock style setup for about half your budget for full coilovers and 4-link.
      DSE Aluma-frame front w/ Quadra-link rear or Total Control Products Front frame clip and G-link rear suspension should be just about right at the budget.
      There is always the option of a full frame from Schwartz Performance or the Roadster Shop, but that will most likely blow the $10K budget.
      Joshua O

for that budget look at Maier and GW
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

I like the maier stuff and have checked it out before and its seem like good stuff. I would rather get away from leaf springs in the rear. Any opinions on gateway suspensions mustang 3 link rear. Does anyone have a 60s mustang in AI or AIX and what are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett1967 View Post
      I like the maier stuff and have checked it out before and its seem like good stuff. I would rather get away from leaf springs in the rear. Any opinions on gateway suspensions mustang 3 link rear. Does anyone have a 60s mustang in AI or AIX and what are you running?
      I think wanting to get away from leaf springs when on a budget is a mistake, too many people have been brow beaten with link suspension "must haves" that they don't realize that many link suspensions were brought to market simply for the novelty and/or to facilitate the all mighty "stance"
      the car was designed around leaf springs, this means it's going to be the easiest and most cost effective bolt on, and as budget allows and the driver/owner feels they have reached the leaf springs limits then entertain a WELL built link suspension, but remember that a link suspension for competition must be well planed out to minimize rear steer (or advantageous rear steer) roll center, RC migration, pinion angle changes, instant center, anti squat/dive, then how much fabrication is needed to now house the proper link system.

The number one mistake of enthusiasts is wanting to build the "perfect" car with all the trick parts, unless you have the budget to do this and build it in less than a year you will find yourself never finishing it because there will always be better and more "trick" parts coming out that you will want and feel you need.

Bottom line is the one ting to work on the most is the driver, then get out there and "run -what -you-brung"
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Hey, I too am building an American Iron 1967 Mustang. You are probably aware, but if you are serious about the 500 rwhp then you are talking AIX only. AI has strict horsepower to weight rules that will put you at a max rwhp in the 350-400 range depending on your final race weight.

My Mustang came with a great suspension already but I'm in the middle of upgrading it to the full TCI Engineering package. Having their parts on my Camaro and driven a number of cars equipped with their stuff has sold me on taking it wheel to wheel in my Mustang. I'd decide if you are willing to remove the front shock towers or not. If you are I'd add TCI to your list for consideration. But if you aren't then Maier's stuff would be worth considering. But I'd call and talk to him about it as I don't think you would want his off the shelf setup and instead might want a custom solution from him. His amazing Old Blue build is not off the shelf.

If you must remove the rear leafs I'd look at a torque arm.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

And 500 HP is nowhere near what is needed for AIX. I suggest you read the rule book first before buying parts as there are lots of limitations
      1986 Saleen, Aluminum block 408W, T56, Full Griggs Racing supension

Country Flag: Canada
      $10 g for complete roller suspension, not including brakes? What about differential and gears?

Where are you and the car located? What are your fabrication skills and equipment (i.e. do you have access to cutting equipment and welding)?
      Mark Magers

Founder and Principal, Lateral Dynamics LLC
      [email protected]
      lateral-dynamics.com

One tenth of a second on the race track is often the difference between first place, and fourth.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com