Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LS3 with Holley Terminator system tune help

I have a LS376/515 crate engine in a 78 TA with T56 and the Holley Terminator EFI system. I am new to tuning EFI systems and have been reading and watching as many "how to's" as I can find online. I have this system very driveable now but, it still goes very rich when accelerating- in carb terms the "tip in" seems too much and the AF will drop to the 9-10 range for 1 sec or so and then start to clean up.
      I am using a tune that comes with the system named 480HP LS2 as the base tune and have been "learning" from there after I input the correct displacement. I haven't changed that timing table at all but, the base fuel and AF target table have been changed slightly in the idle and cruise area. In high load and WOT areas the AF is 12.7. I have also reduced the ramp in the fuel modifier AE vs TPS% so that it's not adding anything until 70% and that seemed to help.

Cam specs for this engine: 226/236, .525"/.525", 2.165in /1.590 ex. Engine is rated at 533hp/477tq and I figure I'm getting around 300hp/320/tq - it runs slightly behind my 2002 Firehawk in 4th from 70 - 110mph and my Firehawk put down 310rwhp a couple years ago on a chassis dyno.

So- long background. Any tips to finding why it goes rich when rolling into the throttle? I am planning on getting the car to a chassis dyno to have it tuned, in the meantime are there any tips from people here?
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Are you using the throttle body system, or the LS3 style multiport?

Presumably you are using the Terminator X system?

I have some videos on the basic software overview on my YouTube channel. The AE tables are only to be dialed in after your base fuel map is rock solid.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hi Andrew - Thank you for responding, Perhaps we can talk offline sometime. I sent a PM with my contact info if you want to reach me, I sure would appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gscherer78ta View Post
      Hi Andrew - Thank you for responding, Perhaps we can talk offline sometime. I sent a PM with my contact info if you want to reach me, I sure would appreciate the help.
      I don't have a PM from you, but I sent you one.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I talked to Andrew and we went over several set up related items, one of the checks he had me perform was to see if the my TBI body was progressive or synchronized. Holley says this system is synchronized but the linkage from the main barrels to the secondaries has a slot allowing an estimated 30% movement on the primary side before the secondary side starts to open. I check the "progressive" box in the engine config and then input 35% and that cleared a lot of issue up. Now when I hit the throttle the engine just revs up, in 1st gear it starts spinning the tires at 3k rpm from a roll and the power just keeps coming hard through 6k.

Andrew hasn't touched my tune yet so this is a basic tune from Holley with a little touch up from me and what I have read and learned.

It's amazing how seemingly small parameters have such a huge impact on drivability. In all honesty, Greg's tune was not the usual mess that I see, but I think I should be able to improve on it and make his TA rip...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I wanted to update this thread in case it's helping anyone else. Andrew has sent a couple different tunes to me and I feel like we are making great progress. We are only working on the base fuel table right now and there is a major difference in how it runs. I'm starting to get the power out of the engine I was expecting when I bought it, and we haven't even started on making changes to get the max power, more in driveability.

Thanks Andrew!

Greg,

I'm glad you feel my services are worthwhile. I'm quite confident that I can get it performing up to your expectations.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew tuned my 416 LS3 a couple weeks ago and it runs awesome! The drivability improvements he made are spot on. I highly recommend his services if you want to get your Holley system dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by 968ls1 View Post
      Andrew tuned my 416 LS3 a couple weeks ago and it runs awesome! The drivability improvements he made are spot on. I highly recommend his services if you want to get your Holley system dialed in.
      Thanks Tom! Your GTO is awesome and damn cool...and fast!

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com