Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dakota Digital speedo calibration frustration!!!

I'm hoping someone can please assist me with calibrating my Dakota Digital VHX gauges for the VSS on my Tremec Magnum. Prior it was working off a mechanical speed sensor in my TH400. I'm trying to follow the direction in the VHX manual but it's not doing what it should, or I'm not understanding how to do it. The speedo right now reads exactly 2x what it should. I have to do process number 2 because there is no way in hell I have a place to measure out an exact mile around where I live to do process 1, so I'm trying to do it with a GPS app on my phone.

First off, in the setup menu, I have the sensor type set to "NORMAL" and not "BUS" which I think is correct. When I get to the part where I start driving and push & hold SW1 to increase or push & hold SW1 again to decrease, this does absolutely nothing as it should. I start driving when the number of pulses starts and I can see the pulses increase as I drive. But when I push & hold SW1 it sends the speedo needle to max and if I push & hold SW1 again, it sends it to zero. Like WTF! I tried this several times and all I did was overheat my engine to 255F because I didn't realize that this process interrupts the temp signal for the damn fans!

I did a few variations too like waiting to drive until after my first push & hold of SW1 as well as after. I would sometimes get an error that says "pulse too low". Then it only gives you one attempt at each push & hold SW1 before it just kicks you out of the calibration process.

This has me at my wits end. Can anyone please shed some light on what in the hell the process really is?

Thanks!!!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Are you using a speed sensor or a speed signal from an ECU to the gauges? It sounds like you're not getting enough PPM which could happen if you're using an ECU that has the incorrect VSS setting for the number of teeth on the speed sensor.

No ECU. VSS to the DD gauges which Silver Sport Transmission said would work. If that's not the case, then I may just cut the VSS sensor wire and go without a speedo until I do my Holley EFI install in the spring.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I now have it sorted and working perfectly.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Can ask how you sorted this out? I will have to do something similar soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sd67 View Post
      can ask how you sorted this out? I will have to do something similar soon.
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

1) Press and hold SW1, start the engine. Once the engine is running, release SW1. “SET SPEED” should be displayed.

2) Press and hold SW1 until “SPEED SENDER” is displayed and then release SW1.

3) Press and release SW1 until “ADJUST” is displayed.

4) Press and hold SW1 until the message screen changes.
      The speedometer will show the speed reading and the speed/LCD1 message display will say “xx ADJ MPH”.

5) Begin driving at a known speed.
      Press and hold SW1 to increase the speedometer reading, the next press and hold of SW1 will decrease the speedometer reading.

When the speedometer is correct, stop and restart the system by turning the key/power off and then starting the vehicle back up.
      The new calibration will be saved when there is no switch press for eight seconds.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Awesome! Glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing for the rest of us as well that may have run into issues with the process.
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

Thanks for sorting this out and sharing. Glad you figured it out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com