Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

ATK Engine Problems

Hello, been on this forum a lot just searching for information. First post looking for advice on my engine issues.

I bought an HP55 long block 383 SBC direct from ATK 2 years and 1 month ago to put in my 67 Camaro that I use for street driving and 2-3 times a year autocross and HPDE (20-30 min session) track days at local road race courses. I went with ATK because they had a decent reputation on the forums, a 2 year warranty, and seemed to have good customer service (when I purchased/ speced it out.) I spent a lot of extra money on upgrades to the engine that were suggested by Brandon and Mark to hold up to the occasional track days. Road race oil pan, upgraded valves, lifters, spring, retainers, etc. The engine arrived 3 months after I purchased it and lasted less than a week when a valve interfered and cracked the block/ bent a forged H beam rod. ATK honored their warranty and I shipped the engine back to them. After a 6 month turn around time I received a new block with with the original crank, and 7 of the 8 original rods, and all other parts were swapped over. I installed this warranty engine and proceeded to follow all break in instructions once again exactly how mark recommended. I mean followed them doing exactly what he said to do. after 6 months and 1 day at the track, the tips of the push rods wore through and wore into the rocker arms. They sent me out all new rocker arms and push rods, and I cleaned everything out as best as I can. I drove the car another 6 months or so before going to the track again, and this time it ate a rod bearing. The engine is back out of the car, and ATK states that since I am one month out of warranty (which starts at the purchase date) I am out of luck. Despite the fact that this engine has spent 9 months of the warranty in ATK's possession, and has a history of issues, they are leaving me out to dry. Rant over...

Real question, why did this happen, and how can I prevent it when I install the next engine? Seems to me like an oiling issue. I have a morroso trap door baffled road race pan, ATK speced the pump with the pressure/ volume that Mark wanted. I watch the pressure on the track as often as I can and have never seen a drop in pressure. I have a remote oil filter with earls oil cooler and 10an lines that was all new. Oil stays at 240 degrees at the track with the oil cooler, and the coolant never goes above 195. Brandon and Mark had part numbers and hose lengths for my oil setup. I have an air fuel gauge that shows my carb is tuned damn near perfect everywhere. ATK warranty guy Eric suggested that I pre detonated the engine causing these issues. I have a brand new MSD pro billet distributor set to 34 degrees total which is where they put the sharpie mark when they ran it on the dyno. I have a crane cams ignition box with the rev limiter set to 6100 RPM. I use 10-30 mobile 1 after all the break in oil that mark suggested and am crazy with oil changes and adjusting/ checking the valves. Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any ideas on what to do. THanks for any input.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com