Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Can someone help me set the kickdown cable on my 700r4? Used a TCI universal cable

I am trying to finish my dad's truck and one of the last things I have to do is the kickdown cable adjustment. It is a 700r4 connected to a 400 SBC with Holley 4165 carb. I have the cable mounted, I'm just struggling on how I'm supposed to adjust it. The instructions are somewhat unclear. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have slack on the cable when the throttle is all the way closed and then connect to the carb and let the carb pull the cable to full throttle, or if there is supposed to be slight pressure on the cable at closed throttle and then let the carb pull the cable to full throttle. The instructions say to go to full throttle and measure the distance from the mounting surface, but that doesn't tell me a starting point to get my initial measurement. I don't want to have to trailer this thing to a trans shop just for 30 seconds of figuring this out if I don't have to.

Cable I'm using:
      https://www.speedwaymotors.com/TCI-3...le,334403.html

https://www.tciauto.com/2004r-700r4-...-tv-cable.html

Country Flag: United States
      So you're going to want the cable to have a slight amount of tension at idle (no slack), and then at full throttle it should be at full extension. That's the best you're going to get with that set up. I would also recommend putting a pressure gauge on the transmission afterwards to ensure that you are in fact getting the correct pressure ranges for the valve body in that transmission.

If you really want the transmission to shift well then I would look at putting the Tru-Shift set up on there instead. We engineered this to be a no compromise solution for setting the TV cables on the 200-4r and 700R-4 transmissions using an aftermarket carb. We've taken all the guess work out of it, and anyone can put this on and set it correctly without fear of doing it wrong.

Here's a video for a better idea of how it works. Tru-Shift and Lock Up module
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that setup

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com