Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What machine should a tire shop be using to mount tires on expensive 3-piece wheels?

I have some forgelines which I would rather not get scuffed up. Are there any keywords I can use when asking a shop what equipment they will use when mounting the tires so they don't scuff them up? Is there a special machine for this?

IDK specifically about the machine, but I would call the local tire places that sell higher end rims and ask them. Most of the newer machines use a plastic lip protector on the arm that slides the tire on the rim to protect it. I know there are some that advertise a "zero touch" install, meaning the arm never touches the rim.

I would look for some place that has a "no touch" machine. Most of your corner gas station shops are probably not going to have this level of equipment. I use to work at a Porsche/BMW performance shop, we had a high end Hunter machine. The wheel would sit on a hard plastic/rubber stand, not a metal turn table, and was locked in with a rubber clamp that went through the center bore, not metal fingers that gouge the inside of the rim. Once word got out about our new machine we were doing all sorts of high end cars, corvettes, Bugatti, Porsche center lock wheels ect.. I would look for a place like that, or a local dealership that deals with high end cars, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW ect, I'm sure most would be more than willing to show you the machine. Also ask if they have a road force balancer. A good balance machine will ask for spoke location and take that into consideration to try and hide any wheel weights behind the spokes. It'll cost you a few bucks, but in my opinion worth it when talking about a wheel package that probably costs 10K+

Gotcha, thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into that.

We just got a new Hunter tire machine and balancer that were required by Porsche. The thing is insane, and it’s just about impossible to scratch a wheel. I can’t remember the model number, but it’s fully automatic with no pry bars or anything else needed to mount or dismount. Most Porsche dealers should have one.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com