Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

3D printing dash bezel

Anyone know of a company that has a 3D printer big enough to make a custom dash bezel for my 65 Chevelle? I'm looking to keep the gauges set up like stock but eliminate the radio and A/C vent. Not a fan of the radio delete plates I've seen. Something like the attached picture, except not billet aluminum and not $4500 lol.Name:  Screenshot_20231117_173252_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  148.4 KB

Country Flag: United States
      I have been working with Reversion Raceworks for some parts on my GTO:

https://reversionraceworks.com/

Usually what is done with large parts is that they are printed in pieces and bonded together into the final part.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I have been working with Reversion Raceworks for some parts on my GTO:

https://reversionraceworks.com/

Usually what is done with large parts is that they are printed in pieces and bonded together into the final part.

Andrew
      Awesome! Thank you Andrew!

check Sew It Seams Custom Upholstery in New Braunfels TX. I toured the shop and they have a scanner and several printers and were working on custom parts for an F100 SEMA build.

They will do a custom interior for my '57 custom truck in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      check Sew It Seams Custom Upholstery in New Braunfels TX. I toured the shop and they have a scanner and several printers and were working on custom parts for an F100 SEMA build.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, that's an option if I can't get exactly what I want.

Classic Dash has a page for blank dash panels. If they have one for your 65 you can cut the holes yourself and get the layout that you prefer.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

I used D3D printing services in Tujunga CA to print my gauge cluster insert out of ABS. Mine measures about 18" wide and was printed with the front curved face down on the bed. I designed this myself. Looking at the size of yours, you may be better off using two pieces and joined by pinning and gluing, then hide the seam with body filler and sanding.

Name:  20230210_114622.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  301.1 KB

Here you can see the layer lines before filler and sanding. They are a bit exaggerated because the face is curved. If yours is flat, the layer lines will not be nearly as noticeable or take as long to sand smooth.

Name:  20230115_101328.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  384.2 KB

I used several coats of Bondo sprayable filler primer with hand sanding in between by an assortment of sanding sticks (made by gluing sandpaper to popsicle sticks) and sponges to clean up the layer lines. This took quite a bit of work and you might consider using vapor smoothing or another method of filling if you want things to be smooth.

Name:  20230204_115819.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  681.7 KB

I finished my insert using SEM black interior dye spray (which I also used on the original dash piece) and Molotov chrome pen with a Alclad Aqua Gloss sealer for the 'chrome" edging.

Name:  20230227_110016.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  203.9 KB

Getting the design right took a lot of time in CAD and I printed 2D templates from my CAD model to check fitment before I finally sent it for printing. It's not perfect but it's unique and was a really rewarding project. I hope you have a good experience!
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I used D3D printing services in Tujunga CA to print my gauge cluster insert out of ABS. Mine measures about 18" wide and was printed with the front curved face down on the bed. I designed this myself. Looking at the size of yours, you may be better off using two pieces and joined by pinning and gluing, then hide the seam with body filler and sanding.

Name:  20230210_114622.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  301.1 KB

Here you can see the layer lines before filler and sanding. They are a bit exaggerated because the face is curved. If yours is flat, the layer lines will not be nearly as noticeable or take as long to sand smooth.

Name:  20230115_101328.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  384.2 KB

I used several coats of Bondo sprayable filler primer with hand sanding in between by an assortment of sanding sticks (made by gluing sandpaper to popsicle sticks) and sponges to clean up the layer lines. This took quite a bit of work and you might consider using vapor smoothing or another method of filling if you want things to be smooth.

Name:  20230204_115819.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  681.7 KB

I finished my insert using SEM black interior dye spray (which I also used on the original dash piece) and Molotov chrome pen with a Alclad Aqua Gloss sealer for the 'chrome" edging.

Name:  20230227_110016.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  203.9 KB

Getting the design right took a lot of time in CAD and I printed 2D templates from my CAD model to check fitment before I finally sent it for printing. It's not perfect but it's unique and was a really rewarding project. I hope you have a good experience!
      That came out great! Appreciate the detailed response!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
      Classic Dash has a page for blank dash panels. If they have one for your 65 you can cut the holes yourself and get the layout that you prefer.
      Thanks, last I checked with them they no longer offer the blank for a 65.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post

Great, thanks. I'll check them out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com