Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Driver door jams when window is down

If my driver window is rolled out, even slightly, the door jams from the outside and won't open. The door button can't be pressed fully in.

From inside, the door opens. Just jams from the outside.

Any idea why? solution?

1968 Camaro SS | LSx 364ci
      T-56 | RT StreetGrip | RT Steering Kit | TRSD Disc Brakes | Wilwood Dual Piston

Country Flag: United States
      Something is binding- going to have to take off the door panel and see what is causing it. Odd the button won’t push in. Is there something in there that shouldn’t be?

Quote Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
      Something is binding- going to have to take off the door panel and see what is causing it. Odd the button won’t push in. Is there something in there that shouldn’t be?
      Not sure. Button just doesn't press in if the window is half rolled down or completely rolled down. The other time I rolled the window more than half down, and the button pressed fine. Weird.

Rolling down the window half way shouldn't prevent the door button from pressing fully in so I'm not sure what is going on. My first thought was that when the window is partially rolled down the door flexes enough that it's causing the latch to bind on the striker making it hard to open. So adjusting the striker might fix the problem in the short term, but I would still remove the door panel and see what's going on in there, it could be that the window rails are loose. The hinge bushing may also need to be replaced. Open the door and lift on the end of the door and see how much play there is in the hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      Rolling down the window half way shouldn't prevent the door button from pressing fully in so I'm not sure what is going on. My first thought was that when the window is partially rolled down the door flexes enough that it's causing the latch to bind on the striker making it hard to open. So adjusting the striker might fix the problem in the short term, but I would still remove the door panel and see what's going on in there, it could be that the window rails are loose. The hinge bushing may also need to be replaced. Open the door and lift on the end of the door and see how much play there is in the hinges.
      Yeah it’s weird. Doors started to act up lol. Even the pass door doesn’t shut well. To shut, id have to lift the door up, and shut hard lol. I think hinges need to be tightened on that one.

Still have to figure the driver door thing, ill take it apart and find out soon

You need to rebuild your door hinges with new pins and bushings.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      You need to rebuild your door hinges with new pins and bushings.

Don
      Can that be found from any welders/junk yard? or need specific parts for the camaro? Thank you

You can buy cheap kits with the pins and bushings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-C...0AAOSwAF5UZgFy

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Are you saying suddenly both of them stopped shutting properly? Are you running subframe connectors?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Driver door jams when window is down

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Are you saying suddenly both of them stopped shutting properly? Are you running subframe connectors?
      The driver side, I always had the window/door jam problem, now it's worse. The pass side, yes just happened all of a sudden. I'm not sure if i do have subframe connectors, sorry for the low quality photo. I can check next time I lift it.

Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  57.7 KBName:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  49.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      You can buy cheap kits with the pins and bushings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-C...0AAOSwAF5UZgFy

Don
      awesome, ill confirm if the bushings/pins are whats causing this and get this. appreciate the help

This sounds like a linkage rod issue. I'm betting that the linkage rod is bent wrong and is hitting the window when down. You need to look at the rod that goes from the handle to latch.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      This sounds like a linkage rod issue. I'm betting the the linkage rod is bent wrong and is hitting the window when down. You need to look at the rod that goes from the handle to latch.
      Thank you. I’ll strip the door and check all hinges, rods

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com