Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

best generation camaro to build HELP

looking at a 67-1973 camaro bulid for a fun street car/ solo track car which car would you build for best handling

Country Flag: United States
      I'd just buy whatever is available for the best price in the best condition. IE avoid getting a slightly rusted first gen when there was a perfect second gen. I believe wheel clearance is slightly better on the second gen but if you're chasing the best handling then you're probably looking at 3xx width tires so regardless both generations will require work to get there. Suspension/frame choice will also be a bigger handling factor than choosing the year of the Camaro.

best generation camaro to build HELP

Pretty much everything is available for both and second gens are cheaper generally. So unless you really prefer the first gen styling I would look for a second gen unless you found the right deal on a gen 1

That orange 70 roller FS on this site would. R a great starting point. I got a finished running car for $19K as my starting point - came with a great engine that I haven’t really touched. Interior and paint also done. I focused on suspension and brakes and trans.
      Anyway
      I’ve owned both. Pretty similar cars especially if going full aftermarket suspension. Second gens are better factory suspension and steering so you can make them work pretty good with a stock setup which isn’t quite the case with first gen.
      I had one stock one and one with full front clip. Currently own a second gen. I personally prefer the look of the second gen done in PT / handling setups. With a stock frame I have 275/295 tires on 10” wheels. That’s harder to do with a first gen.

For a resto mod or stock looking car I like the first gen. I could see adding one to the mix at some point. Wife wants a convertible. I would like a SS350 4 speed coupe.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Name:  48020574178_8dd2a0d7a4_o.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  317.5 KB
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I have always felt the ergonomics were better in a 2nd gen. Pedal and column placement. The floor pan allows for better seat placement.

If you plan on keeping the stock subframe, 2nd gen for sure.

Initial buy in is less for a 2nd gen. After that everything costs the same.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I have owned, driven daily, and raced three 1st Gen's and two 2nd Gen's.

My vote is for 2nd Gen Camaro. You keyed on Handling, Its a great platform to build as you learn and go,, in the long run the ultimate suspension upgrades are about the same costs on either.

Tom

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com