Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

ICE or EV? Thinking about our '55 Bel Air Project

ICE or EV?

The current drivetrain plans for our ’55 Bel Air project is the twin tubro SBC that was in MotiV8r. It has a new Holley intake manifold and a number of changes to cure the drivability issues that it had in the past. Since MotiV8r now has a Chevrolet Performance LSA E-Rod crate motor and a T56 Super Magnum I decided to put a paddle shifted 4L80E automatic in the Bel Air. It would have a Holley ECU and a boost control knob that would make it safer for anyone not comfortable with the twins being allowed to run free. This plan was decided on after I started down the sequentially injected, distributorless and supercharged 5-speed manual inline six route. Regardless of how much power the inline six makes it will never make me giggle when I put my foot in it.

No matter which path the car takes it will be modernized with ABS, power everything, air conditioning, rear window defroster, vent window delete, a decent sound system, lots of sound insulation, 3 point seat belts and many modern amenities. It will also have a Racepak Smart-Wire power control module instead of an old school wire harness with fuses. All lights will be changed to LED and the goal would be to make it like Chevrolet was building it today.

For a few years I have been kicking around another plan and I think it’s time to give it some serious thought.

In line with the Pro-Touring theme is modernizing older cars. What would be more modern than going all electric? The Bel Air will eventually become the daily driver/grocery getter and the weekend getaway car. With the current state of batteries this seems like a perfect match. I think it would not be all that difficult to make an all-wheel drive version that would out accelerate the twin turbo rear wheel drive version and still handle well enough to autocross once in a while. Going all electric isn’t without it’s challenges and I do enjoy a challenge. I know that it’s not as easy as bolting up parts and dropping in batteries. It would mean grafting in a complete Tesla Sport rear suspension, a complete front drive system with a FWD suspension from some other donor. I would need to deal with electric power steering and power brakes. It would also require cooling and maybe heating the batteries and a different cooling system for the controls and inverters. I could sell off all the ICE (internal combustion engine) parts and make a good dent in the cost of the parts needed to do the conversion.

What would you do?

Go for the more visceral experience of turbos spooling up or the instant torque and clean quiet ludicrous power of a salvaged Tesla?
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Both make for a great build. EV is certainly getting traction but what sort of budget do you think you can achieve it on? the prices I see wrecked teslas or even the ElectricGT crate motor almost justify a nelson racing engine. I'm very interested in whatever approach you take.

I am not a fan of EV cars personally.

But whatever floats your boat. It’s your $$
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

My project car is going to be a EV conversion muscle car

You're going to want to use the best mult-ilayer approach in sound deadening. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Since there's no engine to drown out all the wind noise, road noise, or minor squeaks and rattles; the others will be much more noticeable.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Cars are as much, or more, about how they sound than just how they look. I'd rather hear a 4 cylinder with a fart can than the high pitch electric motor whine, or worse yet, nothing. My vote is ICE, leave the electric motor in the blender.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

EV cars are quick... no question there. But they lack SOUL.

ICE, ICE, baby!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

I work on an electric vehicle every day. It is powerful, but does it really have a soul? ;) It would be interesting.

Last edited by TonyHuntimer; 12-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Cars are as much, or more, about how they sound than just how they look. I'd rather hear a 4 cylinder with a fart can than the high pitch electric motor whine, or worse yet, nothing. My vote is ICE, leave the electric motor in the blender.
      Even then I’m liking this model for a blender !

http://www.gasblender.com/
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com