Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Oil pan for 67 camaro/ls3 with rack and pinion...

What oil pan provides clearance I need for stock 67 camaro stock sub frame w/ rack and pinion steering? Was looking at Speedtech ls swap kit, seems pretty dang pricey tho, and you have to get a remote oil filter unit for additional $400.
      I'm guessing motor mounts would be a key part as well for clearance. What is everyone else using for pan and mounts with a set up like this? Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the set-up? I would imagine a Holley or 98-02 pan would fit.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Front or rear steer rack? If it’s not too late don’t use a rack conversion. You won’t find many of those setups on this forum.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’ll get a pic and post up later when I get home. It’s a rear tho.
      The guy helping me with my suspension talked me into it, but now he’s mia and I’m trying to finish what he had intentions of doing.

Name:  886503F2-0C1F-48A1-9636-F2CB6DC9CDBB.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  164.0 KB

Name:  C224A467-1C5E-4CD0-909E-BCD3D85C8DCD.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  192.2 KB

Name:  F5F5BA4B-F357-4E7A-BB70-068ADEBBBA00.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  131.2 KB

I'm with Dhutton- you are at a point where it would be easy to remove the rack, sell it, and go with a quality quick ratio steering box like turn one, agr, lee mfg, etc. Run the holley mounts/headers/pan/crossmember. You will be very pleased with the ease of installation, performance/handling, and smooth highway operation.

I agree with ditching the rack but if not then I would check with speedtech as they sell a kit that looks like what I see in your pic

I don't have a problem doing that. Might be cheaper than going the Speedtech route as well. Could recoup some $$ by selling the rack.

What are some good steering set up kits that yall recommend? I'm a complete novice at this stuff. Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks!

We used Autokraft oil pan and dirty dingo slider mounts for ls3 and unisteer rack in 67 Camaro subframe. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      We used Autokraft oil pan and dirty dingo slider mounts for ls3 and unisteer rack in 67 Camaro subframe. Works great.
      How was the clearance? How far did the pan hang below the frame/ and rack? Thanks.

Why are you all so much against the rack? So much warning to sell it, now who would buy it with this much caution?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Why are you all so much against the rack? So much warning to sell it, now who would buy it with this much caution?
      Generally the geometry on the retrofit racks is poor. Bump steer etc is bad. You will get better performance with a Turn One 600 steering box. There are several threads here that you can search for. The Unisteer racks have a reputation for developing leaks with poor warranty support...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Maybe check into Mast Motorsports oil pan. I'm using theirs on my 68 with a DSE subframe but should work with your setup too.

I have the rack setup from Unisteer. I used the Holley 302-2 pan with Speedtech frame stands (220504), Speedtech Ls1 adapters (ATS70001) and engine mounts from Speedtech (220530). Musclerodz/Hedman midlength headers (45060). Clearance is VERY tight between the block and banjo fittings for the rack. I used a LQ4 iron block so I don't know if it'll be different with an aluminum block. Do I like my setup? I honestly don't know. The car has been in pieces for 10 years although I'm just about done!!! When some warmer weather comes back I only need a few weeks of working on it to get that first drive!
      Matt H.

The pan does not hang below the cross member. Clearance is tight; we used bbc frame stands to move the block from the banjo fittings. Speed tech adjustable transmission cross member ties it all together. Stainless works headers and unisteer bbc linkage round it out.

The setup works well. In fact speedtech used it on their 1st gen subframe and conversion kits for years. There is a lot of bad press in the forums from a few that could not figure it all out and it took us a while to get it done. Is it a simple bolt in like Holley, ridetech, etc.? No. Can it be made to work well? Yes

Thanks for the info. The rack I have is from speedtech.

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      The pan does not hang below the cross member. Clearance is tight; we used bbc frame stands to move the block from the banjo fittings. Speed tech adjustable transmission cross member ties it all together. Stainless works headers and unisteer bbc linkage round it out.

The setup works well. In fact speedtech used it on their 1st gen subframe and conversion kits for years. There is a lot of bad press in the forums from a few that could not figure it all out and it took us a while to get it done. Is it a simple bolt in like Holley, ridetech, etc.? No. Can it be made to work well? Yes
      Pretty sure Speedtech positions the rack differently than Unisteer to improve the geometry. At least I recall Blake stating that was the case. Their subframe was designed around the rack versus trying to attach it to a stock subframe.

Curious what you think you gained with a rack versus a performance 600 steering box.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      Thanks for the info. The rack I have is from speedtech.

Do you have a Speedtech subframe? Responses here were geared to a rack conversion on a stock subframe.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Pretty sure Speedtech positions the rack differently than Unisteer to improve the geometry. At least I recall Blake stating that was the case. Their subframe was designed around the rack versus trying to attach it to a stock subframe.

Curious what you think you gained with a rack versus a performance 600 steering box.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a Speedtech subframe? Responses here were geared to a rack conversion on a stock subframe.

Don
      Stock frame. Have all speedtech arms, coil overs and rack, with afx spindles.

Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      Stock frame. Have all speedtech arms, coil overs and rack, with afx spindles.
      Didn’t know they offered an add on rack. It’s not on their website but I noticed they are now selling 600 steering boxes. Anyway it sounds like you got the answers you needed regarding oil pan options. As far as I know Autokraft pan is same dimensions as the Speedtech pan without the remote oil filter.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Didn’t know they offered an add on rack. It’s not on their website but I noticed they are now selling 600 steering boxes. Anyway it sounds like you got the answers you needed regarding oil pan options. As far as I know Autokraft pan is same dimensions as the Speedtech pan without the remote oil filter.

Don
      Well, you are correct, they don’t have one listed, but the rack I have is the one pictured on the steering page. Odd! It’s the same as the right hand drive rack, but for normal side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com