Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1970 Mustang Mach 1. Help me pick some wheels!!

I am finishing up the build on my 70 Mach 1 and looking at possibly changing up my current wheels to something new. I have had the current wheels on since 2004 and although I do like the look I would like to go with different sizes than what I have. I am currently running a 20x8.5 in the front and a 20x10 in the rear. I would like to go with either 18" or 19" wheels and probably 8.5"-9" wide up front and 10.5"-11" wide in the rear. I generally like a 5 spoke or split 5 spoke design and a little flash. I have been thinking about something with a gun metal center and spokes with a polished lip but fully polished is an option. I know it's a personal preference thing but just seeing if anyone has any suggestions for me. Here are some pics of what I currently have.

Name:  IMG_4870.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  218.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_4695.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  192.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_4628.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  212.7 KB

That car needs a black center and polished lip imho. 18/19 stagger.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I may be a minority in this opinion, but I like the wheels that are on the car. I think it would look great lowered another inch or so. Once all of the parts are installed the car is going to look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      That car needs a black center and polished lip imho. 18/19 stagger.

Don
      I may do a dark gray or gun metal center to tie in with the stripe accent color. I'm not real big on the black. It's too over done in my area.

If you like the way it rides and drives, why not just paint the recessed area in each spoke, as well as the center area around the lug nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
      I may be a minority in this opinion, but I like the wheels that are on the car. I think it would look great lowered another inch or so. Once all of the parts are installed the car is going to look amazing.
      Thanks REVV! I do like the wheels on the car and Billet Specialties does make a Fuelie wheel that is nearly identical to it and that is an option so I could just change up the sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      If you like the way it rides and drives, why not just paint the recessed area in each spoke, as well as the center area around the lug nuts?
      Its an idea I've had for a different look. What I would like to do is drop down to a 18 or 19" wheel for a slightly different look and go a bit wider for some wider tires also. The wheels on the car are not of the highest quality and are pretty heavy. A nice forged set would offer some weight savings along with better balancing for higher speed stuff.

Ahh, got it.

Personally, I would stay away from 19's not a lot of tire choices. Go 18/20...

My .02 is that the 20's are too big diameter wise. I would go 18" with 40 aspect side wall. The reason for the 40 aspect is that they have more sidewall to absorb a pot hole and not damage the wheel.
      With the color of your car and by the way it looks great, I would go polished rim with a gun metal gray inner spokes.
      And this is purely cosmetic but the 18" wheels will make your brakes "look" bigger
      Again just my .02.

Beautiful FB! Can’t wait to see it done! I’m with 18” wheels as well. Best all around IMO
      1968 Cougar - 408, FiTech, AOD, TCI, Currie, RideTech, Wilwood
      1968 Skylark - 462, TKO 600, RideTech, CPP
      1985 Mustang - 04 Cobra/Terminator Swapped
      1988 Mustang - Vortech V3, Boss 327, Magnum, MaximumMotorsports, StopTech

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com