Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

axle shaft narrowing/cutting how to?

Hey everybody,

How to cut an axle shaft? I have 2 ford 9" big bearing axles that need to be cut. A lot of machine shop, even rear end shops, doesnt cut axle shaft. Is it hard? Ill try to do it myself but my $10 grinder isnt going to do the job right. The shaft is pretty thick.

Anyways, is it straight forward? I can always buy some kind of saw blade from harbor if anything. Looking for advices and tips.

I am located in the bay area, CA. If anybody knows a shop thats close to me, let me know. Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      This is a Joke ? right?
      Call Mark Williams enterprises and have the professionals do what you need.
      From your questions I can tell you don't need to be doing this.

Hold on.

You need to shorten the axle shaft it self, or the housing?

If axle shaft, how much and will you have enough spline left after trimming? If you will, a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel will get it done. Watch the heat and try to keep the axle from turning blue. Chamfer the end and deburr with a wire brush when you are done cutting. Done a bunch, haven't died.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Brother, just because I have no idea on narrowing axle shaft doesnt me I cant do it. I enevr built a car from the ground up before but, here I am. Thanks to asking questions like this.

The housing have been narrowed already. As for my axles, the have plenty of splines to cut from. I only need to take off 1" to 1 1/2" off each one. I wanted to see is it straight forward as just cutting straight down on the axle spline with a saw machine. I called plenty of shops and seem like none of them cuts axle for some reason.

The reason no body wants to do it, is that it is dangerous. if you are just cutting shorter and resplining that can be done. But if you are talking cutting off the spine and welding back on in a shorter location DONT DO IT.... As some one who owns a Machine shop, the labor to set up and machine the spines back on an existing axle shafts is more than buying new axles with the correct length. If you just need to cut an inch or so off the spline you can do that with a cut off wheel and a 4" grinder. Deburr the end and off you go. Didn't mean to be flippant with my response but I get people through my door every day wanting to do something that they shouldn't be doing.

Country Flag: Canada
      Buy new axles ...mental security will thank you , so will all your passengers
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I may not be understanding the whole content here...but whats the issue? There is nothing wrong with cutting axles. Hell they even SELL axles that are specifically intended to be cut to length. Cut your 1" off and deburr it...done. What do you think Moser and Currie does when you want specific length axles...They CUT THEM! lol. Even funnier...I have a full floater rear and the axles actually come from a standard flange axle from a mustang and they just cut the flange off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KErFkvHGA8

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/9-Inc...le,103772.html
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF1732 View Post
      But if you are talking cutting off the spine and welding back on in a shorter location DONT DO IT.... .

? I don't see that anyone mentioning cutting an axle and welding it back together? He just wants to shorten them. Easily done...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Understood. Well said. Yeah, my axles came with a good length of splines for to cut to length purposes. Starting to make sense now why machine shop doesn't want to do it. I have been explaining it wrong and made them think they would havce to either respline the axles or cut and weld stuff together. But yeah, thats what I thought, a simple cut and grind the edge a little for easy installation. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, another confirmation on an easy cut to length and deburr. Thanks for the reply. And yup, the axles I bought has a good amount of spline to cut from for this purposes.

update

Just thought I give everybody an update on my axles. The same guy who narrowed my axle housing, narrowed my axle shaft. He didnt want to do it the first time I asked because he thought I was trying to narrow factory axles with little splines. After I asked him again and that I have cut to length axles shafts, he was "oh, thats easy". He charged $40 but I gave him $60.

Name:  axle 1.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  103.4 KBName:  axle 2.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  248.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oakhill510 View Post
      Just thought I give everybody an update on my axles. The same guy who narrowed my axle housing, narrowed my axle shaft. He didnt want to do it the first time I asked because he thought I was trying to narrow factory axles with little splines. After I asked him again and that I have cut to length axles shafts, he was "oh, thats easy". He charged $40 but I gave him $60.

Name:  axle 1.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  103.4 KBName:  axle 2.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  248.5 KB
      bam! Glad it worked out.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      bam! Glad it worked out.
      Forsure! I’m was glad too. Late reply i know but still.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com