Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Shelf Life of Tires

I’m just curious on everyone’s experience or knowledge of the shelf life of tires....used and unused. From what I have read the company’s recommendations are replacing after ten years of production. Has anyone experienced any tires failing them from being to old aside from dry rot/cracking?

Country Flag: United States
      I’ve seen plenty of examples of tires that rotted from the inside out and failed due to age online, but I have not personally experienced it.

I put about 2,000 miles on my 12 year old tires when I first got my car back on the road. Replaced them soon after as I began to drive the car more often.

Unfortunately the failure mode can be catastrophic. I’d mitigate running on old tires as much as possible, they also don’t perform nearly as well as when they are new. Which is important if you plan on slowing down in a hurry.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

6 years shelf life and 10 years use life from date of manufacturing

Thanks Cuda and Iceman! That’s kinda what I was afraid of. I found a pair a unused 335/30/18 BFGOODRICH tires. $325 for the pair...new they were $380 each but these were manufactured in 2014. Probably shouldn’t chance it. Just have to bite the bullet and buy them new just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 7firebird1 View Post
      Thanks Cuda and Iceman! That’s kinda what I was afraid of. I found a pair a unused 335/30/18 BFGOODRICH tires. $325 for the pair...new they were $380 each but these were manufactured in 2014. Probably shouldn’t chance it. Just have to bite the bullet and buy them new just to be safe.
      If stored inside and not in sun or heat then they would be fine. But price seems bit high.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

All anyone has to do is google Paul Walker Death and you'll get your answer on the risk of old tires.

Around here (IL) dealers will put new tires on any car they take in trade for resale if the tires are only 5 years old.
      Tracey

I swear modern tires are getting worse about coming apart from age than older tires were. Maybe it's a drawback of modern tire compounds/designs.

They can definitely get bad without showing outward signs. That's part of what makes it scary.

Check the 'born on date' that's molded on the tire (google it). Even with new ones. There's no point spending the money for brand-new tires and getting a set that is 3 years old the day you get them.

My local tire shop won't mount tires that are more than 10 years old.

The tires on my 98 Wrangler are over ten years old maybe 20,000 miles. Always stored in doors summer and winter. On the out side they look like new. I managed to pick up a nail in one last summer. Took it to my local tie guy to have it repaired and asked him the same question when is time to replace? He said the tires look like new inside and out and not to worry.

Ive been in the tire business for 13 years and have sold thousands of tires. Again see my comment above. Shelf life is 6 years and usable life is 10 years off of the dot. Your “tire guy” can’t see the molecules of the tire. Tires change from hot and cold cycles. Don’t chance it

This is from the OSUSC general rules.

"All entrants in the Intermediate or Expert class must have tires with a manufacturer date within five (5) years of the date of the OSUSC event being entered."
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      This is from the OSUSC general rules.

"All entrants in the Intermediate or Expert class must have tires with a manufacturer date within five (5) years of the date of the OSUSC event being entered."

General rules because you never know what type of climates the tires have been exposed to and safety needs to be maximized. The 2 year old tires on the truck in the Las Vegas sun show signs of cracking on the sidewall while the 4 year old tires in the garage on the Camaro still look new. OUSCI has rules, but for your daily driver just use common sense. You can tell if a tire is in bad shape and should not be driven on.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

If you are going to take the car to the race track, the guideline is typically 2 years old or newer.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com