Country Flag: United States

T56 magnum shifter location for factory console 1970 Firebird

I'm trying to finish up the transmission tunnel on my 70 Firebird, and I need to know what the best position is for the shifter, assuming I plan to use the factory 4-speed center console. I received the transmission with the shifter positioned to the rear most point in the rear shifter compartment (I think this is the standard spot for 2nd gen Camaro), but I'm wondering if I should flip the shifter around so that it's a little further forward? It looks like this would get me closer to where I need to be with the factory console (I don't have a center console on hand, that's why I'm asking). Also, I'm assuming that I can just remove the 6 bolts on top and flip the shifter around--I've never worked on one of these before so I don't know what else might be involved.

This also got me wondering if there might be an objectively "best" shifter position, and that because of this, the shifter comes standard in the rear most position, in which case, I shouldn't bother with the center console. Any insights would be appreciated!

Country Flag: United States
    You have 3 different shifter location options with the Magnum. For my 69, it's the middle one which puts it 1/4" inch rear of the factory location so I can use my stock console. It will be hard for you to tell without just measuring. I'm sure someone can post the factory 2nd gen console dimensions and location to help.

Any of the shifter locations are as good as another, and yes you can just flip the one you have around. Just be very careful resealing it. Leaking is such an issue on these transmissions with aftermarket shifters that my vendor will actually void my shifter warranty if I unseal mine and has it sealed with a sticker.
    http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
    1969 Pontiac Firebird
    w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
    1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

The factory console location is 1" left from the rear socket postion. We offer our Nightstick with a 1" offset that puts the shifter into the exact location for the 4 Speed Console. Or you can just work with what you have on the stock shifter and modify as needed. I hope that helps. https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...-transmission/