Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 magnum shifter location for factory console 1970 Firebird

I'm trying to finish up the transmission tunnel on my 70 Firebird, and I need to know what the best position is for the shifter, assuming I plan to use the factory 4-speed center console. I received the transmission with the shifter positioned to the rear most point in the rear shifter compartment (I think this is the standard spot for 2nd gen Camaro), but I'm wondering if I should flip the shifter around so that it's a little further forward? It looks like this would get me closer to where I need to be with the factory console (I don't have a center console on hand, that's why I'm asking). Also, I'm assuming that I can just remove the 6 bolts on top and flip the shifter around--I've never worked on one of these before so I don't know what else might be involved.

This also got me wondering if there might be an objectively "best" shifter position, and that because of this, the shifter comes standard in the rear most position, in which case, I shouldn't bother with the center console. Any insights would be appreciated!

You have 3 different shifter location options with the Magnum. For my 69, it's the middle one which puts it 1/4" inch rear of the factory location so I can use my stock console. It will be hard for you to tell without just measuring. I'm sure someone can post the factory 2nd gen console dimensions and location to help.

Any of the shifter locations are as good as another, and yes you can just flip the one you have around. Just be very careful resealing it. Leaking is such an issue on these transmissions with aftermarket shifters that my vendor will actually void my shifter warranty if I unseal mine and has it sealed with a sticker.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

The factory console location is 1" left from the rear socket postion. We offer our Nightstick with a 1" offset that puts the shifter into the exact location for the 4 Speed Console. Or you can just work with what you have on the stock shifter and modify as needed. I hope that helps. https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...-transmission/

Hey there. I'm here not to offer suggestions, but to ask questions; so I apologize for that. I'm looking to install a T-56 Magnum such as yourself and want to know if you had any fitment issues or any issues for that matter? Also, did you install the transmission yourself or did a shop do it? Thank you for your time.

I have a 71 Firebird with a TH-400 and 455 so I could expect similar issues

Quote Originally Posted by Closf71 View Post
      Hey there. I'm here not to offer suggestions, but to ask questions; so I apologize for that. I'm looking to install a T-56 Magnum such as yourself and want to know if you had any fitment issues or any issues for that matter? Also, did you install the transmission yourself or did a shop do it? Thank you for your time.
      I did the install myself. I'm not a professional mechanic, but not difficult to install if you can follow instructions and have good set of tools. No fitment surprises. I cut a section of the trans tunnel for clearance...some say it's not necessary, but I had to in order to get good driveline angles. I'm running a DSE subframe, which set the engine back 1.5", so I suspect I had to cut more than what would be needed with a factory subframe. A friend welded in a new tunnel section, with a removable cover over the shifter to make swapping it out easier. The shifter came installed in the rear most position, but to fit the factory 4-speed console, I had to flip it around. Easy to do, but this put the shifter directly over a big gear in the transmission, which splashes fluid up, and makes the shifter prone to leaking. I tried 3 shifters before buying Bowler's Nightstick, which completely fixed the issue. I didn't need any offset adaptors or anything like that to get the shifter exactly where it needed to be. Because of the increased height of the trans tunnel I had to modify the shifter bezel (just ground it down so it's a little shorter) and map pocket (just made it shorter so it doesn't extend so far forward). There are a few other things you'll need to do, but nothing difficult (e.g., install flywheel, clutch pressure plate, align bell housing, install/set up the hydraulic throwout bearing on the transmission, clutch pedal/master cylinder, wire up the speedo, reverse lockout, reverse lights--Bowler sells an all in one wiring kit which simplifies the install and set-up). There aren't any provisions for neutral safety switch, so I installed one on my clutch pedal.

Name:  IMG_6962.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  340.6 KB

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the info. I'm currently getting a T-56 Magnum installed in my 71 FB. My car was originally an automatic with center console. My shifter sits further back and I should be able to use my console. The pedal assembly was a slight issue. Apparently, the fuse box gets in the way of mounting for the clutch reservoir. Ordered a pedal assembly with reservoir attached to the pedals

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com