Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post

The hubs use the same bearings and races as the OEM disk brake hubs. Factory bearings are not the strongest but they are decent. If you're pushing the car hard every weekend on race rubber I would inspect the bearings every 3-6 months are re-grease. They probably should be replaced every 1-2 seasons. The main "strength" issue is the cantilevered, GM spindle. It is made of forged steel, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of strength.

That's why I went to the Chassisworks short spindle. It is a 1.5" taller version of the GM short spindle, the cantilevered spindle is made on 4130 chromoly, and the main body "upright" is made of 7075-T651 aluminum. Very nice units, and cost less than the ATS AFX spindles. Chassisworks also makes 7075-T651 "Z/28" style steering arms for 1st gen F/X bodies.
      Okay, the chassis works spindles are gorgeous-albeit just high quality renderings on their site, but they look like very nice pieces. Internally struggling if I really need those or just really want them. As I understand it, the tall upper/lower ball joint achieves the same thing as the 1.5'' taller GM short spindle, so the only benefit to them is the strength. but are there forged steel spindle failures occurring at autoX or roadcourse events?

I'm trying my best ot stay focused on my goal of having a strong brake system that will haul my 2 tons down with a solid pedal, repeatedly....but it sure is hard not to want all the upgrades lol.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      Okay, the chassis works spindles are gorgeous-albeit just high quality renderings on their site, but they look like very nice pieces. Internally struggling if I really need those or just really want them. As I understand it, the tall upper/lower ball joint achieves the same thing as the 1.5'' taller GM short spindle, so the only benefit to them is the strength. but are there forged steel spindle failures occurring at autoX or roadcourse events?

I'm trying my best to stay focused on my goal of having a strong brake system that will haul my 2 tons down with a solid pedal, repeatedly....but it sure is hard not to want all the upgrades lol.
      I would ask Mark Savitske about failures of GM spindles. I know they have failed on many people but I am unsure as to the frequency of failure. ALot of it depends on how the car is driven and the conditions of the environment. He was the one that pointed me in the direction of Chassisworks 7075 spindles. He stated that Chassisworks tested their spindles to failure and they were much stronger (I'm going to guess about 2X) than the GM ones. He wouldn't tell me exactly how much stronger because he did not have permission from Chris Alston to release that info.

The yield strength of 7075-T651 is about 75ksi, 4130 that has been properly heat treated has a yield strength of about 90ksi. The yield strength of wrought iron/forged mild steel is about 32-34ksi. You can see the difference here.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      but are there forged steel spindle failures occurring at autoX or roadcourse events?
      Found this:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Will-they-fail
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com