Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

American auto wire ?

I have a 1967 Camaro I'm going to do a complete re wire of and was wondering if the American Auto wire classic update kit PART #: 500661 is the best tongonwih with future plans for LS and vintage air?

Yes it is. Best advice to give you is to use the correct crimpers (from them) and take your time.

Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Yes. Yes. Yes.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Absolutely the best!!!!

I put the aaw in my 69 and love it.Lots of creature comforts and no shortage of circuit space!

Get the kit from MCB (Matts Classic Bowtie). They are the best price and will respond very quickly if you have any questions.

Absolutely make sure you use the correct crimpers. I used their kit in my 69 Camaro and am about to do my daughters 74 Nova (with a 72 nova kit).
      Matt H.

Two other tips I have learned (I'm going through the install right now):

1.) Label all the termination points while it is on a workbench. It can be tough to tell what goes where while underneath the dash.
      2.) Plan to install the harness under the dash twice. Once to see how it all lays out and to make sure you have enough length (or more likely, too much length) and then put it back on the workbench to wrap/tape it up. It amazed me how less scary it became once I had the harness wrapped.

Also, makes sure you get the crimpers.

I also suggest getting some extra firewall bulkhead terminals in order to use the empty cavities to pass through circuits that may not be available in the AAW setup. For example, if you want to pass through a CAN serial buss (OBDII) port that can be integrated into the firewall bulkhead.

I went one further and used a later model 2nd gen firewall plug on the 1st gen wiring harness. It took a long time to re-pin and document it all, but all the ECM, transmission, intercooler, etc. all pass through the bulkhead connector.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Installing that exact kit in my '67 now. It seems like a great kit, only thing I wasn't happy with is the provide ignition switch, but that is just because it uses the smaller school locker type key. I haven't started terminating any ends just yet but glad to know so many have experience with the kit!
      '67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth67 View Post
      Installing that exact kit in my '67 now. It seems like a great kit, only thing I wasn't happy with is the provide ignition switch, but that is just because it uses the smaller school locker type key.
      Can you re-wire for the old switch back in?

Or change it to a combination? j/k
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

hehe...yep, just used my old ignition that I had already bought a new key cylinder for.
      '67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

I'm a little over half way through with installing it in my 68 Camaro. I returned a Painless kit to get this one. So far it has been pretty easy. Do yourself a favor and do it one bag at a time. I skipped around a bit which just made it a little hard by misplacing parts and instructions. I was OK with the ignition witch the provided but they also provided a new headlight switch with knob and the knob does not match. I haven't take the time to see if I can just swap out the knob for the old one but I suspect I can.

I did not get their crimp tools because it was going to be well over $100 and that seemed excessive to me. I got Summit's tool. So far it has been OK with the exception of the blade connectors going to the front turn signals. The tabs on those were a bit to long and didn't fold over properly with my tool so I had to improvise a bit.

I have them in both of my first gen camaros and they are great.
      They also have some nice videos on youtube and the tech support is really good.
      Buy a lot of zip ties.
      Def get a good crimp tool.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

I've bought every harness they make for my 69 impala except the front to rear harness. They were always available with help if I needed it and everything fit.

I am about to do the AAW kit into my 69 Camaro. What is the "best" crimper to get? I will only use it for this car and maybe a couple more so I don't need the absolute best thing out there but I want my crimps to be high quality.

Do the rental program from AAW?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I did not know about a rental program, I will look into that. Thanks

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com