Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 72 TA clone

72 TA clone

So I'm an addict that can't help but constantly drag new stuff home and never finish anything. I bought this car in 2014. It's in pretty rough shape. It's a base model someone did a lousy job cloning into a TA some time in the past. They cut the fender vent and shaker holes out of other panels with a torch and lap welded them into the 72 panels. It's been hit in the rear and needs a DS quarter, frame rail, tail panel, and trunk floor. The passenger quarter is full of cracking bondo. The doors have some rust. The rockers and floor are completely solid.

It had sat in this lady's field next to her other TA for a few years. At the time no one was selling a full quarter panel. I think she was asking $2500. I told her the body was rougher than I'd like, but I'd give her $1200 just to have it. I was kinda surprised she agreed, but I bought it and hauled it home.

Tail panel

Floor's solid

Interior isn't too bad

The 400 in it ran but had small valve heads. I put my 455 in it and put that 400 in a 79 I sold.

Traven

I drove it like that a little bit, but the gas gauge didn't work and the tires didn't hold air long

20181009_100921 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

I keep 8 or so cars accessible between my garage and driveway, and the rest behind my shop. So I'm constantly shuffling cars around. Last year I realized I'd let this sit behind the shop for a couple years for really nothing more than the lack of good tires and a working gas gauge, so I decided to make it a reliable driver.

I figured if I was going to pull my tank to replace the sending unit, I might as well upgrade to an EFI tank

20190424_162228 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr
      And I bought a Sniper EFI

20190424_155147 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

20190425_135043 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

20190424_203233 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

20190425_221138 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr
      Traven

I had some CPP spindles I was going to use on another project, but decided to go a different route, so I put them on this car

20190425_192844 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

I have a couple sets of used C5 brakes laying around so I put a set on this

20190425_193726 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

I bought these wheels for another project too, but it's no where close to hitting the road, and by the time it is, I'm sure I'll want something else anyway, so I put them on this. Just a cheap set off ebay in 5x120 bolt pattern. The fronts fit pretty well and I used 1" spacers in the rear

20190426_091535 by Traven Stokes, on Flickr

So now it's pretty mechanically sound and reliably drive-able. My plans are to replace most of the interior and clean up the engine bay. I have a couple 200-4r transmissions laying around too, so I'll probably throw one in this. I have no plans to do body work to it until I get probably a dozen of my other projects done, but I like the way it looks and even though the stripe isn't correct, it's a convincing enough clone that it's funny to see how people react to seeing it.
      Traven

huh, Idk what's happening but the pics keep disappearing and when I edit the posts my links have completely changed. Weird

Edit: pics ficked
      Traven

Wh wh what a great project!! I'd love to run across a 72 roller to clone, I even have a 72 455 HO motor that would be right at home if I ever land one.
      Keep us updated on it!

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project!

HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

Pics fixed.

Thanks guys. It's a fun car considering what little I have into it. It's always drawn a lot of attention, whether that's good or bad lol. With some of my classics in the driveway people constantly stop to talk. Especially if I'm in my shop with the door open. About 1/2 are cool and just want to chat. 1/2 are weird and make me un-easy.
      Traven

Country Flag: United States
      Very cool- I am building a 72 TA clone as well. Fun cars and look great!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com