Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Third gen suspension options

I just picked up a super clean 89 Formula to tool around in when i dont want to drive my 67 Firebird. I am looking for options for front and rear suspension to both drop the car and help it handle better. I would prefer something adjustable if the budget allows. I am also looking to run 315s in the rear and 275-315 up front. I dont know how people get that size to fit but i have seen it done. Car will be mostly street driven and light autocross.

thanks
      Jesse

1969 Camaro under construction.
      1967 firebird. 6.0/t56. Ridetech stage 2. Moser 9 inch. Forgeline wheels.(SOLD)

Country Flag: United States
      Check out UMI
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

UMI for sure if you want bolt in stuff. DSE has some stuff as well.

There are a couple aftermarket frames out there. Speedtech just released a suspension based on there Extreme front suspension. It look great to me, but is more involved to install. They have some cad drawings in this thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...aro-suspension

The 3rd gens have a lousy scrub radius, I think ackerman and the camber curve aren't great either if I remember right. No one is making a drop spindle anymore. There was once a thread on 3rdgen .org about getting the most out of 3rd gen front suspension using the drop spindle that was available, written by a guy who raced 3rd gens. Someone pissed that guy off and he deleted all of the info lol. And that spindle is no longer produced so we're pretty limited with stock style suspension.

I have Koni shocks/struts, Eibach springs, and an adjustable pan hard bar on mine. It rides and handles pretty good but it pushes when making tight turns in a parking lot. Mine is just a cruiser though. I haven't really felt any need for aftermarket rear control arms or torque arm yet. I would like some UMI caster/camber plates. I'm gonna swap to C5 brakes, which can be done with stock spindles. I actually want to attempt to design a spindle that would use vette hubs and calipers. I remember the problem with the drop spindles being trying to get the spindle shaft into the right location on the knuckle with the portion that bolts to the strut being in the way. That wouldn't be an issue with a bolt on vette hub and I think that would be a pretty sweet option for the 3rd gen crowd.

Traven

we have a lot of Great Products for that Series. I'm not the Tech for them, so call and ask for Glenn, he will take good care of you.

I went with Spohn for my 92 GTA. I have literally everything they make for a 3rd gen. I'm very happy.

Other than that, I'm running adjustable KYBs, Eibach springs, etc.

All of my mods are listed here: https://www.thefoat.com/92GTA/ride/P...LOYgaMA%3D%3D/
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Raven View Post

The 3rd gens have a lousy scrub radius, I think ackerman and the camber curve aren't great either if I remember right. No one is making a drop spindle anymore.

I have Koni shocks/struts, Eibach springs, and an adjustable pan hard bar on mine. It rides and handles pretty good but it pushes when making tight turns in a parking lot.

PA Racing makes a drop spindle. The real issue with dropped spindles for these cars is it limits wheel width unless you shorten the steering arm, which causes a problem with total steering angle. Extended ball joints and a lowering spring is plenty to get these cars low enough without causing a roll center issue.

The anti-ackerman is a challenge too as you stated. Kyle Tucker wheels his 3rd gen pretty well through tight autocross courses using the stock spindle, so it can be overcome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com