Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Unhappy with my rear discs, need options please

My Ford 9" came with some 11" cross-drilled and slotted disc brakes but the callipers are total junk. They are referred to as GM Metric callipers and have the e-brake integrated, which I *thought* would be a good idea. Problem is, adjusting the calliper piston for the e-brake so the pedal is firm is damn near an impossible task. I've wasted so much time watching videos and trying to do it, I'm just ready to throw some money at it so they go away.

I want to keep the 11" discs, but get better callipers that bleed and work like normal. Then I'd like to just add a small e-brake calliper to the opposite side of the disc that will hopefully work with the factory e-brake cables. I didn't want to go with the Wilwoods because they have the brake drum type e-brakes that I don't like.

Does anyone make a kit like that which comes with the brackets, callipers, and e-brake callipers? I'm looking to keep the 11" discs I have and replace everything else. I don't want to go bigger either because I still need to work with 15" steel wheels for my drag tires.

Thanks!!!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I feel your pain.
      I spent many hours and lots of fluid trying to get them adjusted just right.
      I even sacrificed a caliper taking it apart to see how the hell they work.
      I finally got them adjusted well enough to get a good pedal but I never liked the E-brake.

I think I found the best instructions from Jegs.

I changed them to wilwoods, but wish I would have went with a floating wilwood caliper as I don’t have floating axles, so now I have pad knock. Doh!

I just finished a rant about this exact issue like, two weeks ago lol, so I hear you bud. I installed the D154 wilwoods with no ebrake and had a ROCK solid pedal in less than half an hour(after 7 disappointing years).

Not sure what you run up front, but the balance between the D152 and D154's is like 60/40 with 11' front, 11.13'' rear and a .45/.4 coeff front/back. Whatever the true balance is, it was too much for my rears and caused legit hop under braking into turn 1, so I installed a prop valve to dial it back a wee bit.
      Good luck man, hope this helps.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

I currently have these on the front: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-10996-D

But will be going to these next year now that I have 17" wheels: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-12271-D

Sounds like I'll call Wilwood and see what calliper they think will work for me on the rear.

So you have no e-brake at all?
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

No ebrake right now. I want one for sure, and the idea of the seperate puck is inviting, but since I just got a firm pedal the idea of cracking it open again is unappealing lol.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Im not sure why people blame these calipers....they work, however the system needs to be in good shape. The proportioning valves on the TAs suck and seem to have a lot of rust build-up causing fluid flowing issues. Get a adjustable proportioning valve. The correct dual diaphragm booster. I also suggest Russell speed bleeders. The lever arms are usually tweaked, I recommend Scarebird replacements. When you have it all adjusted, you need to use the E-brake to keep all the pads close to the rotors. By design, they work. If they don’t, it’s a issue with parts or the user.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I have Wilwood master, proportioning valve, front brakes, all new SS lines, etc. My lines have been power bled extensively and I'm running Redline DOT 4.

It's just VERY difficult to get that calliper piston adjusted just right so that the e-brake lever has very little play. Very frustrating it's so finicky. I agree my issue is the user.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Im not sure why people blame these calipers....
      I get your point, but a system should be robust enough for a knuckle dragging squid like myself to be able to put a good amount of effort into setup and get good results. Since these calipers are delivered to guys as a disc conversion kit, there's a high likely hood of not getting them adjusted correctly and having a disappointing brake system. Now if mine had somehow come correctly adjusted, I'd probably have a different view.

Edit: not trying to imply your better experience was due to luck, just that it's definitely not as straight forward as the fronts. --Also, big fan of the russell speed bleeders as well.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com