Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Fuel Pressure Gauge?

Hi all. So I am mocking up the connection to my fuel rail. Originally I wanted to run a fuel pressure gauge at the rail. But now I am having second thoughts. There are too many connections for me that are in a high vibration and high heat area. What are your thoughts? Does anybody else run a fuel pressure gauge at the rail?

My fuel system is a Ricks Tank, vaporworx pwm setup with a ZL1 pump. Engine is ~600 crank HP (dyno'ed at 610). I used NiCop 3/8" hard lines to the engine bay. Oh this is in a 69 Camaro

My current thoughts are to terminate the hard line near the motor mount. Then run a -6 PTFE line to the rail similarly to the picture, minus the gauge and associated fittings.

Or make a hard line from the fuel rail on the engine to near the engine mount. Then connect the PTFE line between the hard line on the engine and the frame mounted hard line. This should minimize the movement and keep it away from the back of the engine near the flywheel and clutch.

Like to hear your thoughts and pictures would be great!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I'm not a fan of having a mechanical gauge in the fuel system. A pressure sensor / electric gauge is another story, but mechanical / copper gauges are just a potential failure point.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Thanks for your input Carl, that makes good sense to me. Your knowledge has been super helpful, hence my choosing your pwm system. Your system is integral as I am trying to put this together for the long haul. The more reliable and bullet proof the better as my goal is to use this car, not show it or win anything. It will be doing track time and some autocross but mainly LOTS of driving!

I have decided to just use a pressure tester connected to the fuel rail port to confirm and adjust the PWM if necessary than call it good for now. I would consider adding an electric gauge to monitor the rail pressure. What are your recommendations for doing this?

On another note I am fairly new to AN fittings and have them all over this car now. Between the fuel system and the dry sump oil system there are dozens. In the fuel system I have used hard lines (NiCop) wherever possible and tried to minimize bends and connections. My thoughts are every connection is a potential leak. What advise does everyone have minimize the potential leaks at the connections I DO have?

Thanks again. Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Yea throw that away. What are you using for tuning iris someone else doing it? Buy yourself some fuel rails and install it on the end of the rail. Here is my current setup but I’m using dual feed and electronic sender. Hp tuners reads my fuel pressure

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&sfns=mo

I like your setup Iceman. Nice and clean. I for now was only going to check the pressure to the rails, then adjust if necessary the Vaporworxs pwm unit. If I upgrade to a new fuel rail setup like this, adding the pressure sensor seems a no brainer.

Please bear with me due to my newbie FI status. I will be buying the HP Tuners HPVI2 to get me going and start my learning curve of FI tuning. This brings me to a few questions:
      1) Iceman you added the fuel pressure at the rail sensor to send this info to your HP Tuners. I researched quickly HP Tuners, are you using the Pro-Link add on?
      2) What are you using the info from the rail pressure for? I have a few ideas but would like to learn more.
      3) I see the Pro-Link has four additional inputs for the HP Tuners, (2) analog, (1) low CAN and (1) high CAN. What other sensors/data would typically be used with these additional inputs?

I am asking this because my car is at that stage where adding wires to potentially be used in the future would be very easy now. I can tuck them away and be ready for it if deemed necessary.

Cheers, Steve

1. Pro link. Splice the fuel pressure sensor power and ground to your oil pressure sensor. The 3rd wire from the fuel pressure gauge you run to the pro link and it reads the signal.
      2. I was using that info to make sure I had enough fuel pressure for e85. When I put my supercharger on I can now fail my idle fuel pressure back to 42-46 and use map reference to increase fuel pressure with boost
      3. Anything that you want. I’m using my pro link just for the fuel pressure. I’m reading e85 from my ecu, not sure if my ecu will read boost but if it doesn’t I’ll run my invovate gauge output to my pro link to get boost readings.

There used to be a company (poorly run and now out of business) that was one of the first to twin turbo a C5 Z06 and they put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to watch when tuning on the dyno. When they were out checking the street tune the gauge failed and sprayed fuel onto the hot side of the turbo. It was a quick death for that car. The two in the car were able to get out in time.

TL;DR No mechanical gauge under the hood.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com