Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Red Top or Yellow Top

Which one? I've always run a red but these days I see a lot more yellow tops in cars, Why?

Country Flag: United States
      The red one works great, but the yellow one will tolerate being drained and recharged.

I've had much better luck with yellow tops. As B rad has said, they can handle more discharge cycles than a red top. yellow top is a deep cycle battery. And since my camaro has a slow drain and I occasionally forget to hook up the maintainer this has saved me a few times.

The yellow top is also about 5 lbs heavier. It has more material and vibration resistance than the red top. After killing two red tops I've yet to kill a yellow top.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

I thought the blue top was the deep cycle, but not used because it's not as capable to high CCA?
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I thought the blue top was the deep cycle, but not used because it's not as capable to high CCA?

The blue top is a RV or marine battery, you don’t want that in your car. The red top is like your general application automotive battery. The yellow top is the high performance battery. It’s not more vibration resistant than a red top but it can be drained and recharged and not suffer like the red top would. I would say the cost of the red top makes it more appropriate for most muscle car application. The yellow top is like a $100 more...you’ll have to decide if your electronic demands need a yellow top.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Optimas have either dark grey cases (starting)
      Or light grey cases (deep cycle)

The blue tops have the extra wing nut terminals which are convenient for RVs and boats.... But are the same as yellow and red depending on the case color.

red top starting battery have the dark gray case, and is the same as the dark case blue top.

yellow top deep cycle have a light gray case and is the same as the deep cycle blue top with light gray case,

I like the blue tops for the extra terminals when I used them years ago.

The color of the case is new to me. That’s not what I found on optima site. They don’t even advertise them as “dark” or “light” case. Just blue,yellow and red.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com