Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      You are obviously FAR more patient than myself. I like the methodical approach to it all and the time spent on each step to ensure a perfect result. Very interested to see how you bring this frame table together since I'm looking at building one too next summer.

Keep up the hard work! This has been cool to watch unfold so far.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Thank you. I am putting alot of effort into trying to plan out as much as possible in CAD. Gives me something to stay focused on while I scrounge up more money to keep moving lol

Very ambitious!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Very ambitious!

Andrew
      Maybe a touch haha. I just got a Facebook notification that I bought my Tig Welder a year ago. At that point I had never really welded or fabricated. I got the equipment, fab tables, cnc plasma and other stuff made since then.

I think this project will be 2 years easy. I'm going to be limited on progress by budget. I'm not going to skimp on stuff... so its save... then buy. Should be about a 95% new vehicle when done.

On a side note, does anyone know how wide a modern Gen 6 dash is? I am curious...for reasons.

Had a day off and made some major progress on my frame table. I got everything welded up and bolted together. The table ended up being very square. Its within 1/32" corner to corner so I am pleased.

I got my buddies 3 axis rotary laser today so I will be ready to start getting the table leveled out and setup within my space. I mopped the floor tonight and got all the oil and grease up. Hopefully it gives my chalk lines a fighting chance. I'll be spraying so clear coat over them to help out.

Video will be up tomorrow.

C1500 REV 0

Name:  20191222_095142.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  142.2 KBName:  20191218_202541.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  180.4 KBName:  20191222_110045.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  159.5 KBName:  20191224_092006.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  180.2 KBName:  20191224_123221.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  107.4 KBName:  20191222_205504.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  104.9 KBName:  20191224_150505.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  162.7 KBName:  20191224_161127.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  140.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20191225-221301_Facebook.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  243.6 KB

Very impressive skills and build.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

New
      Got the cross rails cut out and temporarily placed. The z axis is placed and I'm happy with the level and square of the table.

Ordering the frame rails monday. Then I'll need to save a couple bucks to recoup.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice work! I look forward to future updates.

This is the base frame design. Please excuse some of the missing components (upper 3 link bracket, passenger side coil over mounting tube.)

The frame will be build out to this level and then be a roller. At that point I will probably put the cab on a rotisserie and get it roughed in. I'm going to do cab corners and rockers. They don't have any rust, but 18 year old me did the body work before, so i know they arent "right". Im going to rebuild some flanges and then fit them in better to tighten up my door seam and general fitments.

After the cab is grafted in, I'll mount it and begin the cage work. The cage is HUGE unknown for me right now. I would like to play in the autoX and drag racing game, but build a cage that satisifies both the 8.50 NHRA spec and the multiple different autox/NASA/SCCA rules will be just about impossible.

The cage will be tied into the coilover tubes in the front via a tube linking the dash bar. Then there will be a removable bar crossing in front of the engine to stiffen up the coilover tubes. The rear of the cage will be tied into the down tubes of the 8.50 cage. After that i will triangulate the rest of the chassis with small reinforcement tubes.

It should be VERY rigid.

Tonight I started laying out the cage in CAD. I went out to the truck and started to take some measurements. It's the rough layout only right now. The main purpose was to see where the cage falls in relation to the cab mounts and the outriggers on the chassis.

I'm currently in a holding pattern until my frame rails are delivered.

I ordered then from Boling Bros in CA. They should be here in a week and a half. The rails will be very similar to the rails in their IG post below:Name:  20200101_212539.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  499.3 KBName:  20200103_203913.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  124.4 KB

I also 3D printed some balljoint plumb bob holders to get a real exact measurement on the ball joint relationships to each when the crossmember is dead square.

Its tighter than 1/16" total spread. I'll call that good.Name:  20191230_203452.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  115.7 KBName:  20191230_203431.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  78.7 KB

My frame rails are inbound from Boling brothers. They are due in on Wednesday. Super pumped. I started to lay out my frame table crossmembers in a little more detail and got them placed accurately.

When the frame rails come in, they are cut a little long on both ends (intentionally). In order to locate the rails properly I need a way to accurately measure the locations of the bends. The bends with the best surfaces for measurement are the rear frame rise. I made a little gage out of scrap plate. Should help out alot.

I really like how you tackled the frame table. Simple, but very effective and far superior to how I measured my frame.

Don't forget about FIA specifications for cage work. Many hill climb racers adhere to that standard since it does a pretty good job of encompassing the important areas. NHRA 8.50 spec will still require additional tubes. The only thing I see right now from what you showed above (I realize you aren't done yet) is to be careful about how far your rear down tubes are from the otter bends of the main hoop, and they are picky about where you land the tubes to the frame.

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I really like how you tackled the frame table. Simple, but very effective and far superior to how I measured my frame.

Don't forget about FIA specifications for cage work. Many hill climb racers adhere to that standard since it does a pretty good job of encompassing the important areas. NHRA 8.50 spec will still require additional tubes. The only thing I see right now from what you showed above (I realize you aren't done yet) is to be careful about how far your rear down tubes are from the otter bends of the main hoop, and they are picky about where you land the tubes to the frame.

Keep up the great work!
      Definatly not close to done. The cage is a big unknown for me. What classes do i want to run, what regulating bodies rules play nice with eachother etc. Im gonna to do alot of research before I commit on the cage.

Got some parts in from Speedway.

I got the plasma ripping tonight. Made removable adjustment slugs for the upper control arm mount and the control arm slots. The mount slugs can raise or lower roll center and change antidive percentage. The slugs in the slots are for caster adjustment. One piece shims will be cut for chamber adjustment. The LCAs are also adjustable length (over 1" of adjustment) for additional camber gain and chamber adjustment.

The plasma is alot cheaper than the $13 a piece slugs they sell.

I also ran into a little snafu bundy. The driver side ball joint sleeve got a little tweeked in the welding process. I ended up ordering a ball joint sleeve tap from Left Hander chassis.

Lucking it saved the day.

Those Joe's slotted arms are the stuff! I went with the bolt-on version and am VERY happy. For mine I used Howe's A-plates since their slugs were cheaper, but you did a nice job cutting your own slugs. Either way it makes the adjustments quick and repeatable. Not to mention those pre-cut plates speed up the fab work.

Yeah I was just updating my models tonight and playing around with them a bit. They are where it's at for sure.

Well look what the cat dragged in. The frame rails showed up. Super pleased with Boling Bros world on bending them up. Couldnt wait to get them sat up in the table and see how they look. I'll get em dialed in this weekend and burn em in

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com