Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

C5 brake components for 1st gen Camaro

I've heard that the CPP C5 brake kits don't have the best components. I'm trying to do something similar and upgrade the parts. Is it possible to piece together decent parts without braking the bank? I found a Power Stop rotor, pad, and caliper kit (https://www.autozone.com/brake-syste..._347103_0_2805). I think the calipers are stock twin pistol Corvette, complete with the logo. Can I just add Kore3's brake lines and brackets to complete this kit? Is there anything else I would need to buy? Are there better options for around the same price? I can get that kit by searching around for somewhere in the $300's. I have 17" wheels and will check the template before I buy. Thanks for the help.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, 4-speed Muncie, 4.11 12-bolt differential.

I've used C5 brake parts many times. I'd check over on Corvette Forum for some used stuff. Rock auto is another source. Chain stores and Rock Auto will want cores. I've had good luck with NAPA stuff. Make sure what ever you buy the calipers come with the caliper brackets. They are about as expensive as the calipers.
      If you buy used C5 calipers rebuild kits are pretty cheap. Just make all threads are in good shape. I bought my brake hoses from KORE3. Rotors and pads from Summit.

Country Flag: United States
      You can absolutely do what you plan. I did something similar on my '69 Camaro using CPP tall spindles, EBC rotors and pads, C5 calipers, lines from Kore3 and Timken bearings. I also have 17" wheels, but had to use a narrow spacer due to the ribs on outside of the calipers contacting the outer edge of the wheel. You might just get an entire setup from Kore3 as they are very knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't. I would have done that but I already had collected most of the parts. I also changed my MC to get better response from the C5 calipers vs. the OEM single piston calipers and added an adjustable proportioning valve.

Thanks guys. I was able to get that kit for $267. I have an old pair of drum hubs laying around, but after inspecting them, the knurl for the studs is 0.560. I'll have to wait for the kit to get here, but I doubt the rotors would fit without drilling them. If I need to buy new hubs, it might be better to buy the C5 spindles from CPP and use them with C7 hubs.
      1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, 4-speed Muncie, 4.11 12-bolt differential.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com