Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Collector Car Insurance - Who Do You Use?

I have been using Hagerty for my 'Cuda and would like to shop around and compare what others seem to be experiencing and paying for their premiums. I do enjoy driving my car and take it to work on occasion, I'd like a policy that lets me use the car.

I am 32 years old, no speeding tickets/DUIs/Accidents/etc. Owned the car for 17 years, Class A CDL holder, BS in Mechanical Engineering, MBA, Married for 10 years, outstanding credit score, I am seemingly a low risk driver overall.

The 'Cuda is set up as a "modified" car, obviously, which seems to add a significant amount to Hagerty's premiums. It's insured for $60k and the annual premium is $1,202. I have done the quick quote with Grundy and it came back at $598 [HALF!]. Have you used Grundy? What are your thoughts on them?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I’ve had Grundy for 4 yrs. I remember it being much cheaper than the Hegarty quote.
      I don’t know how good they are to deal with when you have a claim, since I’ve never had one.

I also have Grundy. I'm covered for $50K on my 69. Very happy with the annual premium and the coverage limitations.

That said, I would recommend NCM insurance just as highly. I had them for years and have only been with Grundy for several months. Never made a claim on anything tho.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Insurance

I have a 69 Chevrolet insurances Though American Collectors on a modified policy. Have filed 1claim the car was in the garage during a house fire insurance paid no questions asked that to shop of my choice. Rates very reasonable no deductible.

I use Heacock Classic but will probably change when it comes up for renewal. I haven't had issues but they used to be Local so I supported them. They also don't have some of the benefits that Hagerty does.

We use ANPAC quite often, and have worked with them on insurance claims. Hasn't been too bad of a process.
      They have a classic car insurance, and make sure to get an appraisal done to show replacement costs.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I have had a American Modern P&C Insurance policy from Classic Automobile Insurance Agency for many years.
      They are competitively priced. But I've never had a claim though.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      We use ANPAC quite often, and have worked with them on insurance claims. Hasn't been too bad of a process.
      They have a classic car insurance, and make sure to get an appraisal done to show replacement costs.

-Dale
      Schwartz Performance built my car and I followed their recommendation to use ANPAC. They insured my car for full replacement cost. They were very good to work with through the appraisal process and valuation.

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

I currently have Dust Off insured with Grundy. I was with Hagerty but Grundy was half the premium for the same 50K agreed value coverage. I have never filed a claim so I can't speak to how they settle.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have hagerty but apparently need to look at Grundy.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

I had American Collectors but they are very restrictive on usage, I want to be driving my cars more often so I started researching which ones were more free with trips to work, errands and just plenty of joy rides. That said I went with Berkley Classics, I can now drive them pretty much as I wish.
      Grundy is also less restrictive..... I could have gone with either but I was in contact with an rep for Berkley over several days going over options and coverage's and liked his effort and help.

I have Hagerty covering 100K stated value on my 89 C4 Corvette. My restrictions are: there is no coverage while on-track or in grid however, I do have coverage in the paddock. Also, there is no coverage if I decide to compete in a car bouncing (Low-Rider stuff) event. So far, I have not had a claim so, no experience, and my premium is $1,085/yr.

Since, I have Hagerty, and living in Arizona, I am exempt from having my car smogged so, I was able to register my car with no problems.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I have Grundy for insurance on my 69 Pace Car. They were much less than Hagerty. I've never had a claim with them, have had them for about 8 years now. I have heard of others that have had claims with zero issues.

I have Hagarty on my '68 Camaro with $22k coverage, cost is almost $400/yr. I just went on Grundy's website and set it up just as Hagarty is only with $45k insurance. Their cost is $323/yr. Looks like, with what everyone is saying here, I need to call Grundy tomorrow and check them out. I will let everyone know what I find out then.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I have been using Chubb for years now. Prices were good (for coverage in Michigan, which is usually double what every other state is). One big decision to go with them was because other places literally would hang up on me if I mentioned I might take a car to a track day. Chubb was totally cool and understanding, just said that I would not be covered once I crossed into the pits. Once I leave and hit a road, I am good again. I just get track day insurance when I get out there
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Just got off the phone with Grundy insurance. The lady was very helpful and quite pleasant. I had called to see what if any stipulations there were on use of my Camaro. She told me that (naturally) it's not covered at any race events, the insured classic car cannot be the primary driver. It can be used for things like going to car shows, dinner, just about anything you want to do. She also told me that there were no mileage restrictions (Hagerty did have mileage restrictions per year). My Hagerty was going to be $471/yr with no modifications to the car and a 2500 /yr limit on mileage (without a upcharge for more mileage), for $45000 coverage. I am currently paying high $300/yr for $22000 with mileage cap. The Grundy is $323/yr, no mileage restrictions for $45000. I do not have any idea how they are if you have a claim. Everything I've read says they either haven't had a claim or there were no problems. I was asked if the car was stored inside a garage most of the time by both companies.

Just a little something to think about.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Just got off the phone with Grundy insurance. The lady was very helpful and quite pleasant. I had called to see what if any stipulations there were on use of my Camaro. She told me that (naturally) it's not covered at any race events, the insured classic car cannot be the primary driver. It can be used for things like going to car shows, dinner, just about anything you want to do. She also told me that there were no mileage restrictions (Hagerty did have mileage restrictions per year). My Hagerty was going to be $471/yr with no modifications to the car and a 2500 /yr limit on mileage (without a upcharge for more mileage), for $45000 coverage. I am currently paying high $300/yr for $22000 with mileage cap. The Grundy is $323/yr, no mileage restrictions for $45000. I do not have any idea how they are if you have a claim. Everything I've read says they either haven't had a claim or there were no problems. I was asked if the car was stored inside a garage most of the time by both companies.

Just a little something to think about.

“Pretty much anything” include driving to work?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      “Pretty much anything” include driving to work?
      Driving to work on a Friday once in awhile or a run to the corner store isn’t a primary driver.
      If you drive to work in it every day I think that’s almost a definition of primary driver.

If you’re under 3000 mi a year, I’m pretty sure you’re okay.
      I’m only around a 1000 a yr. and I think I drive it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      Driving to work on a Friday once in awhile or a run to the corner store isn’t a primary driver.
      If you drive to work in it every day I think that’s almost a definition of primary driver.

If you’re under 3000 mi a year, I’m pretty sure you’re okay.
      I’m only around a 1000 a yr. and I think I drive it a lot.
      I hear you but I’d hate to be caught in the grey area. I’ve driven mine pretty extensively and have built it to do just that.

Obviously it’d be my last choice in poor weather, but I’d like to hop in it and go as I please.

My understanding a occasional drive to work would be fine. She said it just can't be your primary driver, and I think storing in an enclosed garage is pretty high on their list of wants. I suppose if someone didn't have a garage their insurance might be higher.

Carl Wilson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com