Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      "How Can I Use My Car?

Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver. We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

When you have your car at home, it must be kept in an enclosed, secure garage when not in use. If you are away from home on extended outings your car is fully protected if you must park it outside, for example in a hotel parking lot. Grundy coverage includes Trip Interruption that reimburses you for hotel and repair costs in the event of a breakdown, and we also reimburse you for towing and labor charges up to $250. You can count on Grundy as you cruise."

That is straight from the Grundy home page. My '69 Camaro is insured for $40k and runs $240 per year. Our '74 Nova is $105 a year for $20k. I've had them for about 15 years and luckily have never had a claim.
      Matt H.

My coupe doesn't come close to the value of some of your cars, just renewed my AMIG (american modern ins grp) which covers my 66 coupe and the car trailer, no mileage limitations, use as I want, just not covered once I'm on the track, $320 for the year.

I have Grundy insurance,1969 Camaro I pay 440 a year for $60000 value.

Insurance what a racket.

I just received quotes from Grundy and Hagerty and they were twice what AMIG wanted for the same coverage.... 67 Camaro @$60K.

If you have another "daily driver" vehicle, it's my guess that Grundy would not know if you drove the car every day to work. How could they, its unlimited miles? I highly doubt they will interrogate your coworkers if you happen to get into an accident. Just my thoughts.

I've been reading through the information here to try and get a better idea of who to go with for insurance. I got a quote from Grundy, valuing my 69 bird at about $70k for about $550/yr with a $500 deductible. In finalizing the paperwork, I go thte following acknowledgement of use form to sign:

In consideration of the premium charged, it is hereby understood and agreed that any vehicle
      insured under this policy will be used for hobby purposes and exhibition and will not be used
      primarily for general transportation. It will not be used for backup transportation, or for errands,
      except for occasional pleasure use. It will not be driven to work or school
      or used for business or
      commercial purposes. The vehicle will not be used for towing, hauling or off road use.
      It is further understood and agreed that nay vehicle insured under this policy will not be used
      to participate in any rally gymkhana, speed contest, race or timed event of any kind.

Is this typical for Grundy or is it just the options I selected? They make it sound like I can't drive the car at all. If it's a nice day, I might drive it to work once in a while. I do have multiple vehicles which are my primaries.

I have Grundy. As mentioned, don't drive it to work or run errands in it, but you are free to use it for pleasure driving, car club events, etc. with unlimited mileage. It's all about minimizing the time the car is alone without you in a parking lot to reduce risk.

That said, if you feel your work parking is secure enough that you don't worry about your insurance being in effect, go ahead and drive it to work when you feel the reward is worth the risk.

Hagerty on the other hand I avoided because everyone has told me they do have mileage restrictions.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I’ve been using Chubb for over a decade now. Never had to make any claims on anything, perfect driving record, etc….. their prices are good and NO usage restrictions. So no need to worry about explaining why you were driving your car. Another positive I have from them is that we spoke about track days/HDPE. All they said was that my coverage stopped when I entered the pits and started again when I left. I multiple other carriers say they wouldn’t even cover me if I went to those.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

and this is for an agreed value policy that Chubb has no restrictions at all? Do you know who their underwriter is?
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I have an agreed value as well as $2000 off spare parts coverage. I will talk to my rep every year or two and adjust the amount as the market reflects. I’ll have to check later who their underwriter is. One thing is they do not offer coverage in every state. I’m in Michigan and they offer it here but not when I lived in South Carolina. They will just ask to get a few pictures of the car in the area it is stored. They have never asked to see the odometer since there is no usage issues. If interested, send me a pm and I can give you the contact number for the person I deal with.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I have Grundy. As mentioned, don't drive it to work or run errands in it, but you are free to use it for pleasure driving, car club events, etc. with unlimited mileage. It's all about minimizing the time the car is alone without you in a parking lot to reduce risk.

That said, if you feel your work parking is secure enough that you don't worry about your insurance being in effect, go ahead and drive it to work when you feel the reward is worth the risk.

Hagerty on the other hand I avoided because everyone has told me they do have mileage restrictions.
      The other drawback with Hagerty, is the fact that they now dictate ‘value’ based on their own database of ‘market valuations’. To me, Hagerty’s values always seemed to be low.

If you are in the ballpark and are willing to pay the insurance premiums, agreed value is basically that - agreed between parties (insurer, insured), right?

An insurance company tracking market value is ‘to some extent’ a conflict of interest. It has also eliminated independent appraisals.

I would have been happier if Hagerty linked up e.g., w/Kelley Blue Book or similar - an institution independent from any single insurance company.

I’ve been with Grundy for the last couple of years as well. Never made any claims though.
      1968 Cougar - 408, FiTech, AOD, TCI, Currie, RideTech, Wilwood
      1968 Skylark - 462, TKO 600, RideTech, CPP
      1985 Mustang - 04 Cobra/Terminator Swapped
      1988 Mustang - Vortech V3, Boss 327, Magnum, MaximumMotorsports, StopTech

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      I have an agreed value as well as $2000 off spare parts coverage. I will talk to my rep every year or two and adjust the amount as the market reflects. I’ll have to check later who their underwriter is. One thing is they do not offer coverage in every state. I’m in Michigan and they offer it here but not when I lived in South Carolina. They will just ask to get a few pictures of the car in the area it is stored. They have never asked to see the odometer since there is no usage issues. If interested, send me a pm and I can give you the contact number for the person I deal with.
      When I looked on Chubb website it indicated hobby usage, doesn't mention pleasure driving. Most of these policies are fairly restricted or i tend to feel that way, when the weather is nice i want to use and enjoy it as much as possible. Although a lot of those trips aren't covered, to work, quick run to the grocery store, taking kids to practice or out to dinner etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jk918 View Post
      When I looked on Chubb website it indicated hobby usage, doesn't mention pleasure driving. Most of these policies are fairly restricted or i tend to feel that way, when the weather is nice i want to use and enjoy it as much as possible. Although a lot of those trips aren't covered, to work, quick run to the grocery store, taking kids to practice or out to dinner etc.
      I sent you a pm with info for the person I’ve been dealing with for years. Always preferred to talk to someone about the specific details vs what info can be found online. Good luck!
      Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com