Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running Infinity Box....

.....or was that a passing trend of a few years ago?

I'm going to be rewiring my '64 Corvette project this winter, and the architecture and trouble shooting capabilities of the Infinity Box have me intrigued, even though its probably overkill for my basic setup.

Besides the basic power requirements of the car, I'm going to be running:

Holley Sniper EFI w/ Hyperspark distributor and Ignition box
      Electric fan
      Electric fuel pump
      DSE Headlight motors
      DSE Wiper motor

The big appeal to me is the ability to mount the Master Cell in the storage compartment behind the seat, then run the single CAN cable to a Power Cell in the rear of the car to control lights, fuel pump, etc and another Power Cell tucked under the dash in the factory fuse panel location to control everything in the dash and forward of the firewall. With the ECU for the Snper being integral to the throttle body, it should make for a relatively clean installation.

I've read the big drawbacks to the system are the cost, and battery drain when the car is sitting....but I have a battery cutoff switch that I use when I park the car regardless.

I'm still in the initial planning stage of the electrical retrofit, and looking for input.

Thanks
      Greg
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I think if you were going to run power windows, locks, and other accessories, the infinity box would be worth it. For your application I think its overkill. Most universal wire harness kits have circuits for additional stuff anyway. It is definitely a cool unit, but on a "basic" (electronically speaking) car, Id rather spend the money on nice terminals/connectors over CAN control.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I am using the Racepak Smartwire setup on my build. Unless I looked at the wrong thing, it looks to be about the same price as an infinity box. However with the Racepak stuff, it will talk over CAN bus to other systems (Dominator ECU in my case) and I don't need a single fuse or relay so that was the clear advantage in my mind. There is a lot of PDM options that will integrate with CAN ECUs and offer more adjustment/tuning to what the outputs are down the line.

Still looks like this the infinity box is a nice product, but figured I'd provide some food for thought.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Much appreciated guys. I'm still very much in the planning phase of this part of the project. I agree that the infinity box, or any other similar set up is overkill in my application. I do however like the fact that you don't need to deal with relays for high draw items, and that the system is set up to make it easy to add accessories later.

I used a normal Painless Wiring kit in my '72 C20, and it was a very clean installation, especially given that it was my first attempt at a full rewire. Over the years, I've added fuel injection, stereo, electric fans, etc. and found that keeping everything clean and simple was difficult as I added additional items so I'm looking to make the electrical system in the Vette more adaptable.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com