Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alignment Issue QA1

A year ago I bought a 67 Chevelle SS that already had a QA1 Street Performance upper control arms and sway bar installed. The lower arms, springs and shocks are still basically stock. It also had the stock power steering box, which was really sloppy. I recently installed a new Borgeson 12.7:1 box. The steering was then nice and tight...huge improvement. No more constant steering input on the freeway. The car did want to slowly track to the right, so I brought it in for alignment. Now I'm wondering what the heck is going on with these caster numbers. Negative 3.15, are you kiddin' me?

The shop is competent and their equipment is top notch. They have done other vintage cars for me in the past with good results. They just couldn't dial in any more positive caster. I got on the phone with QA1 support and we went over the possible issues. The arms are on the correct side, the cross shafts are installed correctly, ball joints appear correctly aligned. The only thing we haven't done is adjust the upper ball joint mount (the QA1's are adjustable). I'll try that, but I don't think there is 8 degrees of positive adjustment there.

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated at this point. The car drives fine really. Maybe it steers a little too easy, but it doesn't wander and tracks straight. No bump steer either.

Frank
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      you must have the uppers swapped left to right.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      This was my thinking too....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That was my initial thought too, but tech support at QA1 talked me through it. “QA1” sticker towards the front (not definitive, but mine are) and “bent” leg of the control arm is forward, “straighter” leg toward the rear. Check.

How many shims on the front and rear bolts?

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      How many shims on the front and rear bolts?

Don
      Not a bunch.

Name:  IMG_2125.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  66.3 KBName:  IMG_2127.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  76.8 KB

I would try the upper balljoint mount. You could always add some more rear shims but you will gain more negative camber. I like to run -.5 degrees.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

check to see if the lowers may not be switched, on A-bodies it is possible.

check to see if the lowers may not be switched, on A-bodies it is possible.
      Ok, I’ll do that. Is there an easy visual clue?

post a pic of the bottom of the lower A-arm, the rear leg of the arm has a slight bend in it.

post a pic of the bottom of the lower A-arm, the rear leg of the arm has a slight bend in it.
      Lower looks good to me and matches the factory chassis manual. Photos of the upper and lower driver’s side:

Name:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 405
Size:  83.1 KBName:  IMG_2129.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  80.4 KB

I would have thought the sway bar would not bolt up if the rears were swapped.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Are you sure the car was never wrecked or took a severe hit to the suspension in the past? The only time I have had bolt-on parts from a reputable company not be in "spec" was when there was an issue with the mounting structure.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I know the QA rep said the sticker goes toward the front, but your upper arms appear to sweep forward, when they should sweep to the rear. Look at the angle of the balljoint stud, it should not point back like that. Try swapping the arms, left to right; I'll bet that fixes your alignment issue. All you have to lose is the time it takes to make the swap.
      Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      I know the QA rep said the sticker goes toward the front, but your upper arms appear to sweep forward, when they should sweep to the rear. Look at the angle of the balljoint stud, it should not point back like that. Try swapping the arms, left to right; I'll bet that fixes your alignment issue. All you have to lose is the time it takes to make the swap.
      Rodney
      X2

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

lowers are correct but those uppers sure look wrong, that upper ball joint is too far forward.
      Swap them left to right

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Are you sure the car was never wrecked or took a severe hit to the suspension in the past? The only time I have had bolt-on parts from a reputable company not be in "spec" was when there was an issue with the mounting structure.
      No, not sure but you would think that you’d get uneven numbers left to right if that was the case. No visible damage or evidence of heavy repair.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      Rodney
      I’ve got QA1 tech on speed dial now, haha. They offered to give me the exact measurements of the control arms left and right legs. I’ll get that tomorrow and send them this photo to verify. These components were on the car when I bought it, so always good to verify these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      If you look at the alignment sheet the OP posted it is clear the caster is backwards and fairly even.

I just got off the phone with them again. Sent them the photos and measurements of the arms (front and back). QA1 tech believes they are installed correctly. For visual reference, they said that the center of the ball joint (red grease zerk cap) should line up slightly forward (towards the front of the car) from the snubber bolt on the gusset. Mine does. If the arms were switched left to right, that visual reference would line up towards the rear of the car.

I'll take it to another alignment shop, but this one has been really good in the past...independent shop, good equipment, willing to set up to aftermarket specs, etc. They set up my 69 Camaro (full Global West front) and last month did my 57 Chevy (tubular uppers/stock lowers/tall ball joints) with perfect results. Still not sure what's going on here. I guess I could try swapping the a-arms left to right and see what happens. The QA1 cross shaft is "offset", but you only flip it from the "shallow" indentation (stock) side to the "deep" side for added negative camber. It's not a tapered offset cross shaft like others (Detroit Speed, I think) that add positive caster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com