Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

8.5 10bolt rear disc conversion

Super budget build, cant afford brembo, baer or whatever, ive used a right stuff conversion before, but they are 11” rotors , looking for option on 12 -13” rotors, any options?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
      Super budget build, cant afford brembo, baer or whatever, ive used a right stuff conversion before, but they are 11” rotors , looking for option on 12 -13” rotors, any options?
      ‘98-‘02 Camaro/Firebird is the common go-to for 10/12 bolt rear ends.

Call Kore 3...
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Call Kore 3...
      I looked at kore, still over $1200 if i looked right

I looked at kore, still over $1200 if i looked right
      Gotcha...rear disc brakes are one of those things that you get what you pay for. Not that you have spend a ton of money for good brakes but if you go cheap, you can have nothing but problems. I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought a rear conversion kit from a Small Sh!%#y Brake Company (we’ll call it SSBC for short) years ago. The only thing worse then their brake kit was their customer service. I would definitely warn you against them. Perhaps you can pull a factory setup off a modern car from salvage and make it work...
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Gotcha...rear disc brakes are one of those things that you get what you pay for. Not that you have spend a ton of money for good brakes but if you go cheap, you can have nothing but problems. I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought a rear conversion kit from a Small Sh!%#y Brake Company (we’ll call it SSBC for short) years ago. The only thing worse then their brake kit was their customer service. I would definitely warn you against them. Perhaps you can pull a factory setup off a modern car from salvage and make it work...
      Thanks, looked at the 98-02 stuff, i dont see a big advantage of that over a right stuff kit, i think they use cadillac calipers but the set i installed before worked great, looked good on 15” wheels, still looking for optionss....

Thanks, looked at the 98-02 stuff, i dont see a big advantage of that over a right stuff kit, i think they use cadillac calipers but the set i installed before worked great, looked good on 15” wheels, still looking for optionss....
      I thought you said you were looking for a cheap 12” rear brake setup?

The ‘98-‘02 F-Body consists of 12” rotors and aluminum PBR calipers like Corvette. If you’re looking for new, then you’ll have to look to Kore 3 but the ‘98-‘02 F-Body is usually most recommended.

S-10 Blazer ZR2 will work too.

I have '02 Blazer 2WD rear discs on my Olds 442 retomod project. I needed a 1/4" spacer to align the caliper over the rotor and another 1/2" spacer to hold the bearings in place (Olds uses bolt-in axles that use a retainer plate to hold the bearing. The rotors are 11.6" dia. 3/4" thick, calipers have 48mm pistons with a drum-in-hat style parking brake (not the ratchet style like the SSBC kits). I'm running 18" rims but I mocked up everything with a 15" stock rally wheel and it looks like it should fit. Much cheaper than the Kore3 kits but you'll need to fab your own spacers and parking brake brackets.

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

The 98-02 Camaro also has a internal drum ebrake that actually works. They are much better than the calipers that squeeze the rotor.
      I've used them a few times with very good results.

when I converted to disc all around I went with CPP. They, just like everyone else, use the 78+ Cadillac calipers with ratcheting parking brake. For 7 years I have been chasing a soft pedal. I rebuilt the calipers, I watched the youtube videos on how to properly setup the ratcheting mechanism, I relentlessly ratcheted them in hopes of getting them to take up slack. I power bled, I vacuum bled.. finally, I replaced them with Wilwood D154 (direct replacement for the Cadillac calipers, but no parking brake mechanism. Bam, instant hard pedal, after 7 years.

If I could do it over again, I woulda went with the 98 camaro setup. Just my experience, but I hope it helps.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Does anyone have a link for an article on how to do this, or at the very least a parts list? Thanks.
      1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, 4-speed Muncie, 4.11 12-bolt differential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry68 View Post
      Does anyone have a link for an article on how to do this, or at the very least a parts list? Thanks.
      How to do what?

Answers have ranged from S10 brake recommendation......to “Call Kore3”.....to 4th gen 98-02 F-Body....to CPP brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHV1SCw6Pg&t=515s

Going this route will be about $250-500 depending on if you pull the parts yourself from a junkyard or buy them.
      just know that 98-02 Camaro V6, has the same rear backing plate (probably rotors and calipers) as ls1.

Just to chime in, I went with 5th gen camaro ss brakes on my 70 camaro. I bought used calipers on ebay ,new power stop rotors/ pads from summit racing and rear brackets from bigbrakeupgrade.com.

Scott at bigbrakeupgrade makes a kit for the 98 up camaro to.

Total big brake set up front and rear was about $800 to my door. Not bad for a 14" brake set up front and rear.
      Ahmad B.

Another vote for the LS1 conversion. I've done about 6 of them so far with no issues. Buy some lifetime brake pads at your favorite auto parts store and you'll never have to buy another set. Here's a link from the Camaro guys.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...rake-swap.html

Quote Originally Posted by oakhill510 View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHV1SCw6Pg&t=515s

Going this route will be about $250-500 depending on if you pull the parts yourself from a junkyard or buy them.
      just know that 98-02 Camaro V6, has the same rear backing plate (probably rotors and calipers) as ls1.
      Wow, those backing plates seem to be the most expensive part of the whole swap. Has anyone tried these brackets instead of the backing plates? https://www.amazon.com/67-81-Stagger.../dp/B01CJYTX4I

Or cheaper at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-10-12-Bo...4383.l4275.c10
      1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, 4-speed Muncie, 4.11 12-bolt differential.

Those use GM metric front calipers. I think it becomes an issue with matching up a good MC with it. The LS1 plates have a parking brake so they have that advantage. I think a lot of the price depends on where you are. I've been able to score the complete setup, calipers, brackets, backing plates, hoses, for around $100 at the Pull-A-Part. I get a rebuild kit from Rockauto for the calipers, add rotors and pads, and can come in at $200 if I don't get fancy with the rotors.

Alex

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com