Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 Camaro Front Disc Brake Kit suggestions

Hello, read many threads but haven't found exact answers matching my need. Please ignore my amateur level, im new with classics.

Currently working on suspension setup, but want to start planning/saving for Disc brake setup.

I don't know what rotor or pads etc I have on. Built by a previous owner. After my LS2 Swap, car doesn't brake well. Very weak.

Note: Just street driven, no track/autocross.

Wheel size:
      17x8, 4.5b/s, 0mm offset, 5x120.65 bolt pattern

Here's are my amateur questions:

1) Someone mentioned, just changing the fronts would be fine, yes?

2) Do you advise for a whole Front Disc kit?

3) Do you advise I replace one item from my current setup?

3) When advising, if you can please add the Item SKU number so I can look it up on summit etc..
      Also, if this "item" is direct replacement/fit or needs other components/modification.

Here's a photo of my brakes.

Name:  IMG_1992.JPG
Views: 2068
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9622.JPG
Views: 2156
Size:  62.1 KB

Thank you
      1968 Camaro SS | LSx 364ci
      T-56 | RT StreetGrip | RT Steering Kit | TRSD Disc Brakes | Wilwood Dual Piston

Country Flag: United States
      There has to be something simple that's wrong here. Swapped in an LS2 and now your brakes are weak doesn't make sense.

Bleed the brakes, make sure your vacuum is connected to the booster, get a vacuum gauge on your booster (see if it holds vacuum), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      There has to be something simple that's wrong here. Swapped in an LS2 and now your brakes are weak doesn't make sense.

Bleed the brakes, make sure your vacuum is connected to the booster, get a vacuum gauge on your booster (see if it holds vacuum), etc.
      Either that, or the LS2 has a large cam that does not make enough vacuum.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      Either that, or the LS2 has a large cam that does not make enough vacuum.

True that but if the car it came from had vacuum brakes (most likely did), that shouldn't be an issue.

An example of dumb little problem...

A friend on mine one time did a crazy turbo build and after all was said and done, he decided to part out the failed project. In the process of selling the intake manifold, he found it was not bolted down in the rear of the engine compartment. No wonder why it was totally erratic and not able to be tuned.

If the brakes are worse after changing the engine, then bigger brakes are unlikely to help. You need to figure out what made it worse.

Could be low vacuum due to camshaft which could be improved with either a vacuum pump, or swap to hydroboost. Maybe there's a leak in the vacuum to the booster (or it never was actually hooked back up). Or it could be the vacuum booster just happened to go bad and needs to be replaced. I've had completely unrelated stuff go bad right when I'm fixing something else, which really causes confusion.

If it's any of those things, bigger rotors and better calipers won't fix that.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Switch to a manual master cylinder and never worry about it again!

just checked the pads, they're worn out. So ordering a new set and will see how that feels.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-10-31 at 4.22.35 PM (3).jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  103.7 KB

I'd replace the rotors as well. The rear rotors in your other post look really bad.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
      I'd replace the rotors as well. The rear rotors in your other post look really bad.
      Ill do that too. Thank you

I don’t think rotors/pads are your issue if you think the brakes weak after an engine swap. Getting good pads and new set of rotors might be a band aid if there’s an improvement.

By the sound of this situation, there seems to be something else going on.

As mentioned, removing the booster and going to a properly sized Master cylinder for manual brakes might be a fix for your situation without going into diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      I don’t think rotors/pads are your issue if you think the brakes weak after an engine swap. Getting good pads and new set of rotors might be a band aid if there’s an improvement.

By the sound of this situation, there seems to be something else going on.

As mentioned, removing the booster and going to a properly sized Master cylinder for manual brakes might be a fix for your situation without going into diagnosis.
      Do u have a list part for a booster?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com