Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I forgot about your messed up drop spindles. With the tie rod issue you really need to either fix the spindles or maintain the effective backspacing you have now with spacers. If you go with more backspacing you will need to add to the spacer with an amount equal to the backspacing increase. Which is sort of counter productive because that will worsen your wheel rub problem. YOU SHOULD NOT GO WIDER OR ALTER YOUR BACKSPACING WITH THOSE CURRENT SPINDLES!

You are really spinning your wheels here imho. Pun intended...

Don
      Lol. Dont worry, i will change the spindles to another 2”, same drop. I will also get disc brakes (unless i can wait to do it after, if wheels fit my current brakes)
      1968 Camaro SS | LSx 364ci
      T-56 | RT StreetGrip | RT Steering Kit | TRSD Disc Brakes | Wilwood Dual Piston

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
      Lol. Dont worry, i will change the spindles to another 2”, same drop. I will also get disc brakes (unless i can wait to do it after, if wheels fit my current brakes)
      there is no guarantee that new 2” drop spindles will not rub the tie rods with 17” wheels imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

there is no guarantee that new 2” drop spindles will not rub the tie rods with 17” wheels imho.

Don
      Thus, a 1/8 spacer. What other simple temporary options do I have? , nothing $$$, since im planning wheels-tires-brakes

1968 Camaro: Help with Suspension Setup

I also reached out to CCW for the classics wheel i want, and just got a reply from them with:
      Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  107.8 KB

If I am correct, you plan to change the brakes out? If so, doing that first will be a big benefit when it comes to wheel fitment.
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Quote Originally Posted by MCB Matt View Post
      If I am correct, you plan to change the brakes out? If so, doing that first will be a big benefit when it comes to wheel fitment.
      We spoke on the other forum. So yes, and only IF really needed to fit the new spindles.

Thus, a 1/8 spacer. What other simple temporary options do I have? , nothing $$$, since im planning wheels-tires-brakes
      That spacer only works with your current wheels and spindles. It’s thickness will increase with increased backspacing.

Edit: Ok I am now confused. I thought you had already installed a 1/8 spacer and that this further discussion was regarding new wheels. Now you don’t seem to understand that your current brakes only work with your current spindles.

I think I am too old and senile to add further value here. I just can’t keep up any longer...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

We spoke on the other forum. So yes, and only IF really needed to fit the new spindles.
      Yes, the rotors and calipers on the spindles you have now are Metric S10 pickup parts. They are a smaller caliper than stock, as well as the rotor being 10.5" diameter vs stock at 11" and most aftermarket will be 12" - 13" up front.
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Yes, the rotors and calipers on the spindles you have now are Metric S10 pickup parts. They are a smaller caliper than stock, as well as the rotor being 10.5" diameter vs stock at 11" and most aftermarket will be 12" - 13" up front.
      Understood. Then I guess to get the 18 wheels i need, I’ll have to get
      Full disc brake kit 12” & spindles

Oh boy.. shipping will cost an arm to do all this in one shot. What Brake kit & spindles would you suggest for 18x8 / 18x9.5 (ccw classics)

Oh boy.. shipping will cost an arm to do all this in one shot. What Brake kit & spindles would you suggest for 18x8 / 18x9.5 (ccw classics)
      I can't speak to Fitment as I do not sell CCW wheels. Normally, we would provide the brake kit part# to the wheel manufacture and they check clearance based on the templates published online. Send me a PM and we can discuss options.
      Thanks,
      MCB
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Just to be clear. You do not need new brakes and spindles for 18” wheels. 18” wheels of the correct backspacing will bolt right on to your current setup. 18” wheels will stop your tie rods from hitting your wheels.

There are good reasons to get new brakes and spindles but 18” wheels is not one of them.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Just to be clear. You do not need new brakes and spindles for 18” wheels. 18” wheels of the correct backspacing will bolt right on to your current setup.

There are good reasons to get new brakes and spindles but 18” wheels is not one of them.

Don
      Just what i needed! I was hoping for that, thank you for confirming!

Just what i needed! I was hoping for that, thank you for confirming!
      However it is good to know what brakes you will eventually buy so that the wheels can be made for them.

I would also go 6mm offset up front despite what CCW says due to your very low ride height.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

However it is good to know what brakes you will eventually buy so that the wheels can be made for them.

I would also go 6mm offset up front despite what CCW says due to your very low ride height.

Don
      If I remember correctly (It's been 10 years) but that disc kit also pushed out the wheels, about 3/8" per side.. This is why I would HATE to see him get wheels only to upgrade those horrible brakes later and find wheels not fitting properly. ALWAYS upgrade your brakes/suspesion before ordering wheels!
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Final word on WHEEL SIZE??

Don
      Ok, one final question to set & plan for everything.

Recap:
      -I will be buying wheels first, then buy brakes/spindles (later on, due to budget)
      -For 18" wheels, my current 10.5" rotors will fit
      -However, few months after i buy the wheels, I will look into 11" rotors (brake kit) including 2" spindles.

Therefore: when buying the wheels, the setup should consider fitment on both brakes 10.5" (current) and 11" (later on)
      If this is the case: what's the final 18" wheel setup to go with? (18x8 & 18x9.5)

will this fit both a 10.5" and 11" rotors?
      18x8 , 4.75bs, 6mm offset (235/40)
      18x9.5, 5.5bs, 6mm offset (275/35)

Much appreciated for all the help!

Country Flag: Australia
      If I remember correctly (It's been 10 years) but that disc kit also pushed out the wheels, about 3/8" per side.. This is why I would HATE to see him get wheels only to upgrade those horrible brakes later and find wheels not fitting properly. ALWAYS upgrade your brakes/suspesion before ordering wheels!
      my memory is that was from factory drum brake track width
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
      my memory is that was from factory drum brake track width
      Factory Disc was 3/8" per side wider than drum. I thought for some reason that old 1 piece kit pushed them out even more. We had SO many wheel fitment problems with them, glad that was 10 years ago! Kits have come a LONG way!
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Since I’m already on 17s ... honestly is it worth the hassle/headache to get 18s? Versus sticking to 17s, same setup upfront and keeping my brand new tires lol

And just change width in rear and maybe change tires (downside: we dont have 275/40/17 here) so it’s either I keep my 245 or find 255 , or 265

Render on 17s with ccw
      Name:  Adjustments.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  136.8 KB

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com