Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Camaro: 17x8 tire size recommendation

Hello, I have a 1968 Camaro Restomod and need to change my tires ASAP. It's a street driven car only. I bought it 5 years ago from an owner who restored it with a 350ci and sold it to a dealership. I don't have any contact with them anymore, and they did not know what parts were used. So I had to do some digging to find out. Last year I did an LS2 build, and now looking to improve handling. (Started another thread for suspension advice CLICK HERE)

My current wheel setup:
      My fronts: 235/45/17
      My Rears: 275/40/17
      Wheels: 17x8 (4.5 backspacing, 0mm offset)

Suspension
      Coil springs: Looks like I have the stock coils with spacers in them
      Shocks: KYB Gas-a-just (i know horrible, swapping them next)
      Leaf springs: Unknown (looking to go with Hotchkis or ridetech)

I was hoping to get the same setup, however, where I currently am, no one has the 275s and I can't find any shop willing to ship overseas.

My goal: Looks!
      Summer street tires
      Even out the ride height equally, I don't like the rears being noticeably higher than front
      Keep the wide tire look
      Wheels to stick out a little, or to be aligned with fender.

Questions: (please consider ride drop if I go with leaf springs 1.5" - 2")

1) What's the closest rear setup I can go with to what I have in the rear?
      -someone said 265/50/17

2) Front: Can I go with 245/45/17? (do they do 245/50? - will that even out?)

A few Photos below.

Name:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 3692
Size:  73.0 KBName:  IMG_5959.JPG
Views: 3619
Size:  68.1 KBName:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 3894
Size:  125.3 KB

Thank you very much

Country Flag: United States
      This is a 255/50/17 in the back. It’s too much tire imo.

82120D88-C7C8-4441-AD71-9FD7BEB0CAFD.jpg

Consider 18s. 275/35/18 rear 245 front. I’d do a 275/40 rear next time.
      BD90910E-E237-4A34-A52F-AF1FF1EC16AF.jpg
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing. I just got my AR wheels, and a little tight on budget. So i'm going to have to stick with that for a while.

255/50 too much tire? you mean because it's too thick?

I can't find 275s where I am in KSA. Checked everywhere.

255/50 is huge and fills the wheel well too much it looks weird.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
      255/50 is huge and fills the wheel well too much it looks weird.
      What else can i go with as long as the wheels stick out the wells a little?

What about wheel spacers? Any recommendations on brands and mm to go with?
      1968 Camaro SS | LSx 364ci
      T-56 | RT StreetGrip | RT Steering Kit | TRSD Disc Brakes | Wilwood Dual Piston

I disagree that 255/50 looks like too much tire, but to each their own.

As for the 245/50:
      1) It won't look right on the wheel arches of the front (on a 1st Gen, the front arches are tighter radius than the rear, so you can get away with a larger rear diameter wheel/tire combination).
      2) That tall will probably contact the rear portion of the front fender during a turn.
      3) I haven't heard anyone have luck with fitting a 245 on a 0 offset rim with a stock subframe. Usually 235 if max.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      I disagree that 255/50 looks like too much tire, but to each their own.

As for the 245/50:
      1) It won't look right on the wheel arches of the front (on a 1st Gen, the front arches are tighter radius than the rear, so you can get away with a larger rear diameter wheel/tire combination).
      2) That tall will probably contact the rear portion of the front fender during a turn.
      3) I haven't heard anyone have luck with fitting a 245 on a 0 offset rim with a stock subframe. Usually 235 if max.
      Ill be getting adjustable coilovers as well.

So for fronts, better to stick with 235/45 then. Can i add any wheel spacers?

For the rears? What’s the closest to 275/40, i can go with?

Thank you

you're battling a problem that the backspace is wrong. You can put a smaller tire width, but the backspace of the wheel is wrong. A spacer will only push a the wheel out further which is only making your problem worse.

The options are:
      Narrow the rear end
      Buy wheels with correct backspace
      or, leave the rear end up high enough that the tire won't interfere with the quarter panel.

You want to lower your car in the back, a 255/50 is 27" in diameter, your 275/40 is 25.7" in diameter. The 255/50 will raise the back of hour car about 5/8 of an inch. 26" diameter tires are what look best on a 68 imo
      Steve
      Check it Out Here

So whats the closest tire setup to 275/40 i can go with? Keeping the same wheels

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
      So whats the closest tire setup to 275/40 i can go with? Keeping the same wheels

Thank you
      Not exactly clear what you're trying to accomplish. But if it's a tire height match to the 235/45 (which you can't change unless you change the wheel backspacing) and still wider, then it'd be a 265/40. That will gain you 5mm clearance to the fender, and possibly make up for the incorrect offset of the wheels. I'm surprised you're only running an 8" rim in the back with the 275s now, considering they recommend at least a 9" rim for that.

I've finally found someone who can ship internationally, TireRack. I found the same size setup as I currently have so might stick with that. Still digging for answers

Hey guys. Sorry last advice before I place an order.

Which REAR tire size to go with. Wheels are: 17x8 , 4.5b/s, 0mm offset

Keeping fronts the same: 235/45/17

Rear Tire options (with adding ridetech 2" drop springs front & all shocks Streer Performance):

1) 255/40/17 (NT555 G2 or BF G force)

2) 255/45/17 (NT555 G2 or BF G force)

3) 265/40/17 (Bridgestone Potenza)

again, goal to even out ride height as much as possible without having the rears noticeably higher than front.

This is how my car sits now (stock springs, KYB shocks 235/45 & 275/40)

Much Appreciated!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

A couple of points to consider:

- 255/40R17 rears would be shorter (smaller outside diameter) than the 235/45R17's you're putting on the front. In my opinion rear tires should never be shorter than fronts; it just doesn't look right, even if they are a little wider.

- 265/40R17 are hard to find and and still suggested for a 9"+ wide rim, but they're closer to being OK than a 275. They're exactly the same height as the fronts. This site is your friend for comparing tire sizes: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

- Tires are like shoes - even if they have the same size printed on them, some brands run bigger/wider than others. Those Sumitomo's you have on there appear to run on the small side.

What about running a 45 series tire on the rear as well? The conservative sizing approach would be 245/45R17, and that's what I'd do if I were in your situation. That'll be a little taller and a little wider than the fronts, be the perfect size for your 8" wheels, and probably allow you to lower the rear a little more without rubbing. The Sumitomo's you have aren't the best, so it won't be hard to get equal or better grip from a 245 wide tire if you choose wisely.

Edit: Just saw you were considering 255/45R17 as well. That would be a good option too, but that's an uncommon size so you won't have many tire choices.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      A couple of points to consider:

- 255/40R17 rears would be shorter (smaller outside diameter) than the 235/45R17's you're putting on the front. In my opinion rear tires should never be shorter than fronts; it just doesn't look right, even if they are a little wider.

- 265/40R17 are hard to find and and still suggested for a 9"+ wide rim, but they're closer to being OK than a 275. They're exactly the same height as the fronts. This site is your friend for comparing tire sizes: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

- Tires are like shoes - even if they have the same size printed on them, some brands run bigger/wider than others. Those Sumitomo's you have on there appear to run on the small side.

What about running a 45 series tire on the rear as well? The conservative sizing approach would be 245/45R17, and that's what I'd do if I were in your situation. That'll be a little taller and a little wider than the fronts, be the perfect size for your 8" wheels, and probably allow you to lower the rear a little more without rubbing. The Sumitomo's you have aren't the best, so it won't be hard to get equal or better grip from a 245 wide tire if you choose wisely.

Thanks Ryan. I see what you mean. for the 245/45 in the rear .. you think the width will be very noticeable?(looking at the car from the back) since it's street driven, here, I care about it looking more "agressive" with wide rear tires.

Anyone running that rear 245/45/17 setup? would love to see photos on how it looks on 17s.

anyhow, I'll consider 245/45 and see if Nitto of BFG have them available. If not, which other brands are recommended? Summer/Street.

Thanks again

Agree with the above. The 255/45 is more appropriate for the rim width, and at least more common than the 265/40.

Here's what brands I found that make the sizes based on your size suggestions. Only Q if there's availability. I will check locally & abroad.

For 245/4517 , 255/45/17 (Nitto 555 G2, BF Gforce comp2, Toyo Extensa HP II, Continental Extreme Contact)

For 265/40, only Bridgestone Potenza & Mich Ps

as much as I'd prefer wider, I think my best option is the 255/45. I hope I find them. Thank you all so much

Here's a 68 with 235/45R17 front and 245/45R17 rear: https://www.southernmotors.com/Inventory/Details/3909

Here's a 67 with 245/45R17 front and rear: http://blog.rickscamaros.com/1967-ca...queen-camaros/

245/45R17 rears on this one too: https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...evrolet-camaro

There's nothing wrong with 255/45R17's either if they come in a brand you like. Sounds like you'll be ordering tires from overseas regardless, so local availability may not be a factor.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      Here's a 68 with 235/45R17 front and 245/45R17 rear: https://www.southernmotors.com/Inventory/Details/3909

Here's a 67 with 245/45R17 front and rear: http://blog.rickscamaros.com/1967-ca...queen-camaros/

245/45R17 rears on this one too: https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...evrolet-camaro

There's nothing wrong with 255/45R17's either if they come in a brand you like. Sounds like you'll be ordering tires from overseas regardless, so local availability may not be a factor.
      Exactly what im looking to see thank you very much!

Anyone ever heard of Nitto 5g2a?? That’s what one local shop has

Also, michelin Primacy 4. (Dont know that either)

...still searching for 555s

You must always check different sellers to choose the best. I recommend that all sellers' personal materials be checked here https://newyorkessays.com/plagiarism-checker/ for plagiarism to identify fraudsters.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com