Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Which engine OIL Cooler line size 10AN - 12 AN ..?

Want to install an engine oil cooler for some happy German autobahn days 65/442 Olds with 455 BB.

Want to go from block adapter plate (with maybe thermostat insert) to my remote oil filter too oil cooler. I am going to have to mount everything up near the radiator so the lines goes from back to front to back.

10w60 OIL
      idle cold oil pressure 65psi
      idle hot oil pressure 25psi
      4000rpm oil pressure 45psi

Which line size you recommend ....10AN - 12 AN ?

Is bigger better in my case ?

reagrds from Germany

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I think #10 will be great for your application.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Ya 10 is the standard for oil lines
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I'm using 10 for mine going to remote filters, thermostat, and the cooler. Works great.

Just remember to use only full flow ends. I'm using only straight ends or 45 degree myself.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

In my project I am using -12 AN for all my oil lines. I am using the ATS LS7 Dry Sump Oil Pan which came fitted with -12 AN. In my situation I added an oil cooler and thermostat. Therefore the routing required for all the pieces added a bunch of fittings. As anguilla said already use only wide full flow fittings and try to use the least amount of 90's possible. This is most likely why ATS spec'ed the -12 size to help with the restriction all the fittings would incur.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Most of the thermostats and feed plates and coolers I found are -10. Also even -10 hose takes up a lot of space. I can’t imagine it’s much of a restriction. I’m running -6 PS hose and that is at much higher pressure
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

So can it be... after i install the cooler with remote filter that i notice a oil pressure psi drop at the gauge ?

De-noz, From an engineering perspective there is always restriction in any liquid system that flows. Those restrictions are from any changes of directions in flow (i.e. fittings, oil cooler, engine galleys, oil filters, etc), the longer the passage (i.e.- hose & tubing length, etc) and size of the passage (hose dia.). Basically every part of the oil system is adding restriction to the oil flow.

The trick is to get the correct flow and pressure needed to the critical components that need the oil. When you add more of any of these items you are also adding restriction. There are many benefits to adding coolers, thermostats and remote oil filters. However the system needs to still provide the correct flow and pressure required to the critical engine components. This is why pumps that have higher design flow and/or pressure are used to compensate for these added components and the associated restrictions they add. Additionally if the system is plumbed well it can minimize these restrictions.

Looking at the areas of the oil system that are easily modified while adding new or different components. The plumbing and the oil pump are by far the easiest to make modifications to balance for the added restrictions.

Im using -10. That’s what C&R is using with the engine oil cooler they have provided me so it must be plenty.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Factory Camaros and vettes use smaller than -10 for oil cooler lines. Usually closer to a -8 size.

I used -10 on my car.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

With an oil cooler installed should I be checking the level with the engine running or off? Basically does the oil drain back out of the cooler into the pan?

Some will drain back but if you have your cooler mounted correctly with the fittings at the top instead of the bottom, it should be minimal.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Im running a C&R setup with it built into the radiator. Its pretty low so I imagine a ton is draining back.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Doesn't an oil filter have a valve to prevent drain back?
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I used -10an. From what I read at the time the -10an flowed a lot more than -8an but there wasn’t a huge difference from -10an to -12

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com