Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Vintage air condensor

Is the vintage air condenser neccesary or can a factory one be used? It would seem silly to use a universal one when I can use a factory one. The kit being used is universal because they don't have a kit for my car (g body)

A condenser is a condenser right? As long as the size is correct and you can adapt fittings to it, I really don't see why it would be a problem. I agree, my 70 has a specific mounting location for one...the VA is universal and required drilling to install it and its not as secure.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I'm assuming by your user name, you're installing in an '85 G-body Olds. The factory condenser was designed for R12 freon; the Vintage Air system will use R134a which runs at higher pressures and is not as efficient as R12 at removing heat. You'll get better cooling if you update the factory, serpentine style condenser to a modern, parallel flow type.
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      A condenser is a condenser right? As long as the size is correct and you can adapt fittings to it, I really don't see why it would be a problem. I agree, my 70 has a specific mounting location for one...the VA is universal and required drilling to install it and its not as secure.

Thank you for the response, that's what I figured. Also, I should definitely proofread my posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      I'm assuming by your user name, you're installing in an '85 G-body Olds. The factory condenser was designed for R12 freon; the Vintage Air system will use R134a which runs at higher pressures and is not as efficient as R12 at removing heat. You'll get better cooling if you update the factory, serpentine style condenser to a modern, parallel flow type.
      That makes sense, does the increased efficiency make up for the new condenser being a couple of inches shorter?

Factory g body dimensions:
      15 5/8 x 27 3/8
      Vs.
      New vintage air dimensions:
      14x24

Larger Universal Fit AC Compressor

R134a is less efficient than R12 so the size of the condenser will have a big effect on the cooling performance. You want the largest condenser that will fit, to remove the most heat. If the Vintage Air condenser is already a universal fit unit, you might as well buy a larger universal condenser and make your own mounts. There are several on eBay that are larger, but you 'll need to make your own brackets to mount it. I bought a 16"x28" 4-pass unit from theaccompressorshop on eBay and made brackets from some 2x2 aluminum angle. I removed the U-shaped brackets from the stock condenser and reused them to keep the rubber isolator mounts. Here's a link to theaccompressorshop eBay store:

http://www.ebaystores.com/TheACCompr...=p4634.c0.m322

Good luck!

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com