Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Shifter length - 8" or 10" ???

For a 69 Camaro/Firebird, what length shifter would you guys go with? I want it to feel as close as possible to how a new car shifter feels, so I'm thinking the 8". I'm not a fan of how everyone nowadays wants the shifter damn near shoulder height, but I also don't want to have to reach so far that my shoulder blade comes off the back of the racing seat. When you are held down with a harness you need it to feel *just right* you know.

This is for the T56 Magnum I'm putting in my 69 Firebird. I plan on going with the standard 30-degree layback style shifter and I'm buying the black anodized one from RingBrothers. I'll be running the SST STX shifter.

What length do you guys recommend? The car will be used for road racing, a little auto-x, and aggressive street driving :D

I *could* order both the 10" and 8" from Summit and return the one I don't like, but that seems like a PITA.

I'm also looking for a shifter ball with the 6-spd pattern on it that's not just smooth like metal. Something tactile, like suede. Suggestions? Something like THIS but with the shift pattern on it.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

In my opinion.... It's personal preference. Your seating position, your arm length, are all factors.

With that being said, the 8" works for me personally. But i'm short & closer to the wheel than some.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Very true. I'm only 5'8" myself.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I use an 8" straight handle which fits me just right. But like Dale said it is a personal preference as to what fits you best.

Name:  TNiA03.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  192.1 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I ordered an 8" last week and it shows up tomorrow. I figured I would give that length a try first.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com