Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

To SCCA/NASA-compliant cage or not?

For the guys who installed cages, how many of you did so with SCCA or NASA compliancy in mind? Did you ultimately build one that was compliant or did you just go with something that worked for your needs?

It's been over 10 years since I went down this path but here's the thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ems?highlight=

I plan on buying this one when the time comes: http://rpmrollbar.com/camaro-first-generation/

RPM's roll bars are NHRA, NASA, SCCA, and I believe SVRA certified.

If you are really planning a full-on 10 or 12 point cage, I can't speak to that. I did once have an F-body with a 12-pt IMSA approve cage, but I don't know what other bodies it would have been compliant with.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

This is a conversation I have had a few times surrounding my current build. For me I am using best practices and going with the recommended tube size/thickness, but I am not building a fully legal racing cage. I like that the harnesses and dash mount easier to cage bars and also adds strength to everything, but with 70% of my time likely to be on the road, I don't care to fight around the maze of bars or add the extra weight. I think it really comes down to the intended use. Most all of us on here should have at least a 4 point, but if you aren't planning to add much power and/or race competitively it might not be worth the cost or frustration to add a full cage. In fact, without the appropriate safety equipment like a helmet, a cage can be more dangerous depending on the proximity to passengers in normal road driving.

In other words, think long and hard about what exactly the car will be used for and build around that. Even if you only do a partial cage like I am for time trials, refer to their requirements for competition cages or you may cause yourself more problems when going through tech inspection.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

If your going to build a cage anyway then I suggest making it compliant. The rulebook spec's a safe, reliable cage structure...with appropriate personal safety gear. I wouldn't full cage a car, with the intentions of street driving without a helmet, unless it had full containment seats with halo.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Street cars with rollbars need super-dense padding and the tubes must be placed well away from people's heads.

If they are built well and padded right, they are still unsafe without a helmet. No padding can be good enough for your skull with only 1-2 inches of thickness.

The rollbars on milions of street-legal Jeeps have the same problem. They roll off the assembly lines being unsafe.

So are classic cars with (weak) metal roof structures and nothing but a sheet of vinyl for a headliner.

And many modern sports cars with sloping low roofs. An adult's head may be practically touching the headliner/pillar in a normal driving position - this is no better than trying to pad a rollbar well enough to drive without a helmet.

Street car safety isn't a Y/N. It's shades-of-gray and lessers-of-evils.

In most cases, the cages built outside the spec of any sanctioning body rule book is unsafe and you would be safer to not have any cage in your car. The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) rule book will specify how to build a safe and legal cage. If you build a cage outside of any sanctioning body specification and if you are involved in a collision and there are injuries to other persons inside your car that could present some litigation issues.

Just do it right and not half-ass or cheap.

--
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Perhaps someone else can chime in here but I don't believe there is a spec or even a requirement for a cage in SCCA CAM class.

What class would anyone here otherwise want to run in?
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Cages or rollbars are not required in CAM. However, if you elect to install a rollbar or cage, it must be built and installed in accordance with Appendix C of the SCCA Solo Rule Book which is the same specification in the SCCA GCRs {General Competition Rules) and that specific requirement applies to all cars competing in all Solo classes.

Here is the safety rule from Section 3 of the Solo Rules book:
      3.3.2 Roll Bars Roll bars or roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. A roll bar
      36 — 2019 SCCA® National Solo® Rules
      3. VehiCles meeting the requirements of Appendix C or a roll cage meeting the requirements of the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR Section 9.4, Roll Cages For GT And Production Based Cars, and/or GCR Section 9.4.5, Roll Cages For Formula Cars and Sports Racing Cars) is required in all A Modified (AM), B Modified (BM), C Modified (CM), and F Modified (FM) vehicles and all open cars in Prepared Category, D Modified (DM) class, and E Modified (EM) class. For open cars in the Street, Street Touring®, Street Prepared, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fits within an installed factory-specified hardtop or convertible top. The roll bar or roll cage height may also be reduced in the same manner for cars in the Prepared category with a full original equipment windshield assembly and a standard (as defined herein) hardtop which has been bolted securely in place. Double-hoop roll bars must fasten properly to the chassis/unibody as required by Appendix C, particularly at attachment points in the center of the car.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Cages or rollbars are not required in CAM. However, if you elect to install a rollbar or cage, it must be built and installed in accordance with Appendix C of the SCCA Solo Rule Book which is the same specification in the SCCA GCRs {General Competition Rules) and that specific requirement applies to all cars competing in all Solo classes.

Here is the safety rule from Section 3 of the Solo Rules book:
      3.3.2 Roll Bars Roll bars or roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. A roll bar
      36 — 2019 SCCA® National Solo® Rules
      3. VehiCles meeting the requirements of Appendix C or a roll cage meeting the requirements of the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR Section 9.4, Roll Cages For GT And Production Based Cars, and/or GCR Section 9.4.5, Roll Cages For Formula Cars and Sports Racing Cars) is required in all A Modified (AM), B Modified (BM), C Modified (CM), and F Modified (FM) vehicles and all open cars in Prepared Category, D Modified (DM) class, and E Modified (EM) class. For open cars in the Street, Street Touring®, Street Prepared, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fits within an installed factory-specified hardtop or convertible top. The roll bar or roll cage height may also be reduced in the same manner for cars in the Prepared category with a full original equipment windshield assembly and a standard (as defined herein) hardtop which has been bolted securely in place. Double-hoop roll bars must fasten properly to the chassis/unibody as required by Appendix C, particularly at attachment points in the center of the car.

Great info thx! I race SRF3 & just bought a Formula Enterprise. They are purpose built race cars so my knowledge on CAM and cage end is lacking.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Country Flag: Canada
      Well I'm just starting on my cage design, I have a '56 Chev pickup Id like to do some endurance races and hillclimbs in and fortunately being a truck it has plenty of room between the cage and occupants. The only restriction I have is I'd like to avoid running tubing through the back of the cab into the bed. So I need to do way more in the cab and forward into the engine area. But since I'm starting with a clean sheet Art Morrison chassis and going off SCCA rules it all should work.

I've never seen the "roll bar" in a CAM car get checked for any rules compliance, the class does not require a roll bar therefore no guidelines to follow.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      I've never seen the "roll bar" in a CAM car get checked for any rules compliance, the class does not require a roll bar therefore no guidelines to follow.
      I haven't seen anyone inspect a roll bar or roll cage structure at a CAM event. However, your statement ("therefore no guidelines to follow") that would be correct, only if you do not have a roll bar or roll cage structure installed. The CAM rules do not require a roll bar or roll cage but, if you attend any SCCA event and you do have a roll bar or cage in your go-fast CAM car, the roll bar/roll cage is subject to be inspected and it is mandatory that the structure is compliant with Appendix "C" pursuant to Section 3.3.2, and Section 3.3 is a mandatory rule pursuant to Section 1.1 of the SCCA Solo rules.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Country Flag: Canada
      After reading the SCCA booklet and looking at how guys do removable tubing in the side protection I’m not sure how they can be legal with the quick release pins. I assumed you bolt them in when you need them and they stay there for the duration of the competition.

Here is a 77 T/A at CAM challenge East last year 2019 with an old Hooker show bar it was never questioned in tech, those bars are mounted with 4 bolts in through the wheel housing with no backing plates and the hoop is bolted to the sill pinch weld.

Name:  P1010039.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  378.5 KB
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com