Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need coyote swap advice.

So, I am making a cougar with a 2015 coyote and mt81 manual trans. It is coming along nicely, (it’s in the project forum)but I cannot find the answers to the many fuel system questions I have. I therefore come to grovel and beg those who have gone before for your pearls of wisdom. Let’s begin:

the ford control pack requires a return type fuel system, I have a return less I pulled from my organ donor. I have read that I can use a return type fuel pressure regulator, which I get but nobody can tell me, can I setup the mustang’s stock pump to run at constant pressure and feed to the regulator and the engine?

does anyone make a 55psi rated rubber hose?

if I must run a aftermarket fuel pump, where can I get a good one (in line please) that can support the coyote and not cost a ton?

how do I trigger the fuel pump ?(off ecu crank sensor, off ignition...)

Thanks in advance!
      My cougar project.

Earls Vaporguard rubber hose is pressure rated.

Carl at vaporworx can help you with your pump and controller issues.

https://www.vaporworx.com/product/fo...ontrol-system/

Not sure why you would want to run an in-line pump with all the associated heat issues etc.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That helps, thanks.

To answer your question I have a fuel cell. If I can I would like to retrofit the factory mustang fuel pump, but I still have no idea if it can be converted to run return. If not i thought the simplicity of an external would be good. I did not know they were worse, I will need to do some reading on that.
      That booster is $500! I could buy a whole custom system for that much.
      Still I will call Carl, thanks!
      My cougar project.

Quote Originally Posted by grambo View Post
      That helps, thanks.

To answer your question I have a fuel cell. If I can I would like to retrofit the factory mustang fuel pump, but I still have no idea if it can be converted to run return. If not i thought the simplicity of an external would be good. I did not know they were worse, I will need to do some reading on that.
      That booster is $500! I could buy a whole custom system for that much.
      Still I will call Carl, thanks!

I might be off my cracker here, but don’t restrict your self to “Ford”. The engine needs a specific PSI to run and it doesn’t have to be Ford nor do I see requirement to run a return system. I don’t see why you couldn’t use a vette style filter/regulator with your inline or in tank walbro. I agree Ricks and vaporworks can set you up with tanks with fuel buckets that have built in regulators all the way to high flow modules that need to be controlled with a pwm.

Is the Coyote fuel rail designed for a fuel return? Google shows me it’s exactly like an LS

Almost all braided hose can be used with FI. I used Russell it in combination with SS hardlines
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      You are using ford performance control pack or donor?

I’ve used the Corvette fuel filter regulator on several Coyote swaps. The Earls vapor hose is good like Don suggested, uses pretty inexpensive fittings and easy to use.
      We usually use the Coyote control pack from Ford. It has a fuel pump trigger wire in it. I’d assume the factory one would have that too, just have to find yourself a diagram.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Since you have a fuel cell, maybe Holley's pump will work for you. The trigger wire will come from the controls pack. I'd use the Earl's hose as previously suggested.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel..._pump_modules/

Quote Originally Posted by grambo View Post
      So, I am making a cougar with a 2015 coyote and mt81 manual trans. It is coming along nicely, (it’s in the project forum)but I cannot find the answers to the many fuel system questions I have. I therefore come to grovel and beg those who have gone before for your pearls of wisdom. Let’s begin:

the ford control pack requires a return type fuel system, I have a return less I pulled from my organ donor. I have read that I can use a return type fuel pressure regulator, which I get but nobody can tell me, can I setup the mustang’s stock pump to run at constant pressure and feed to the regulator and the engine?

does anyone make a 55psi rated rubber hose?

if I must run a aftermarket fuel pump, where can I get a good one (in line please) that can support the coyote and not cost a ton?

how do I trigger the fuel pump ?(off ecu crank sensor, off ignition...)

Thanks in advance!
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension
      Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56

Country Flag: Canada
      The fuel pump is triggered from the control pack. If it’s a donor it’s returnless if it’s ford performance it’s return type. Not sure if stock pump is good for return or not

Sorry for the delay in getting to this.....

Ford basically says to use a return system since there really is only one aftermarket returnless system: vaporworx. We're a bit off of Ford's radar.

The OEM system in the Mustang is returnless. The injector does not care if the fuel system is return or returnless. It just needs a sufficient volume of fuel at the required pressure.

We have a Coyote specific kit that includes a stand-alone MAP sensor. it can be use with the Ford Mustang Coyote, ZL1, CTS-V, or Gen5 SS fuel modules with good results. https://www.vaporworx.com/product/fo...ontrol-system/
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com