Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clayton pedal assembly worth it?

I'm looking at buying the Clayton MCP-A1-M complete assembly for my 69. I'm considering it to go with the Tremec T56 Magnum kit I'm ordering from Silver Sport Transmission.

Is this setup really worth it? I want the absolute best manual trans experience possible and I'm wondering how much better the feel will be with these over the factory pedal assembly.

I'm switching from an auto and need a complete assembly anyway, plus the 69 Firebird is a 1 year only model-specific setup and people want upwards of $250 for a used clutch/brake assembly. For not much more than double, I'm trying to decide if the Clayton assembly is worth it but I can't find any reviews/comparisons online.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I got the pedals too when I converted from auto to a Tremec TKO600 5 speed. They look really cool.
      I'm sure any pedal setup will be functional.

These are purely just coo lName:  dash-pic.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  233.4 KB

I also have added the Clayton e-brake pedal cover to replace the stock one. The old one is what you see in the pic, tho

That does look pretty sick.

Do you think the pedals feel better, like the rod bushings on the clutch and brake are better than a stock setup from 50 years ago? I'm looking for a pedal with zero slop. Seems like even the best factory setups with modern bushings still have some slop unless custom modified.

I'm going to be road racing so I want something I an beat up on that just feels solid AF.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Arnt the pedals on a 69 firebird same as Camaro? If they are you can buy the McLeod hydraulic line kit, it comes with the pedal, lines and reservoir. As far as brake pedal you can cut the sides and put new pedal pads on. For my build I used the pedal pads from Name:  B76DFC3E-BC8C-4CCA-8919-36F14AE1376D.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  103.6 KB ZL1 Camaro.

No, the 69 Firebird pedals are Firebird specific and 1 year only.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Clayton pedal assembly (and some other parts for my T-56 swap) since Jegs was having and awesome sale today. I got $100 off my order of $1,000 which covers the tax and then some.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by dkar26 View Post
      I got the pedals too when I converted from auto to a Tremec TKO600 5 speed. They look really cool.
      I'm sure any pedal setup will be functional.

These are purely just coo lName:  dash-pic.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  233.4 KB
      Not really designed for heal-toe shifting, is it?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Haha, yeah the spacing of the pedals by GM is certainly not optimal for performance driving lol. I can only do so much in terms of where I mount the gas pedal in relation to the brake. It would have helped if Clayton Machine made the brake pedal much wider.

My pedal set arrived and they look amazing! I still have the matching e-brake pad in the post. I had not realized they come without the actual pedal mounting assembly so I'll have to buy that. I know I'll need one from a Camaro since that's what these are designed for in terms of the size of the rod, etcs for the mounting of the pedals in the housing. My Firebird one won't work due to a size difference in hardware.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I just ordered a pedal mounting bracket from Camaro Central for a 69 to mount these pedals too. Hopefully there aren't any other *gotchas* that come up on this one like little parts needed to complete the assembly.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

How do you like this assembly? I have the stock-type reproduction clutch/brake pedals which use plastic bushings in the original under-column mounting bracket. I don't like how much side-to-side play there is in the stock-type pedals. Does the Clayton setup use ball bearings or anything more solid at the pivot locations?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I installed these so long ago that I'm not even sure I can remember. I do recall that I was able to dial out completely any slop in the setup, even to the point where it was too tight and binded a slight bit then backed off. I can't remember how tho. I also can't remember if the bushing was plastic or metal, I want to say it was a very thin metal but I don't remember lubrication so it might have been plastic, like a delrin.

Getting old is not doing my memory any favors, sorry lol. If more pops back into my memory I'll update my response. Hopefully someone else with a set will chime in.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks for the response! I know how you feel. Sometimes I search forums for info and find posts I made months or years ago that I have no recollection of.

Are you still using this setup now? If so, how do you like it?

Still using it. I don't daily my car like I used to but do drive it every now and then. I would for sure spend the money again not even double thinking it. I've put them thru more beatings than I can count and they are still as good as they were when I installed them.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep them on my radar!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com