Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS3 First start oil issue

Have a crate ls3 that I started for the first time the other day. Oil PSI is around 50 PSI accordingly to the gauge, not sure if this is good or not. Also getting an oil leak from somewhere at the firewall driver side. It starts to smoke after about a minute or so. Have oil on the driver side exhaust flange and oil will form on the flange bolts. Just want to see if oil pressure sounds good and if there is a common leak spot on these motors I should start my leak search at.

50 psi is good. Mine is 50 cold, around 20 warm at idle and 40 at speed.

Country Flag: United States
      I would check the oil pressure sender and the oil bypass above the oil filter.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

This may be a stupid question or the source of my leak. The motor comes with a silicone cap on the oil bypass up by the sensor. Is that cap sufficient or do I need to put a hose clamp on it or swap it of entirely for a different plug?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarson25 View Post
      This may be a stupid question or the source of my leak. The motor comes with a silicone cap on the oil bypass up by the sensor. Is that cap sufficient or do I need to put a hose clamp on it or swap it of entirely for a different plug?
      Not following you here but there should be no silicone caps anywhere in the oiling system. Maybe post a pic.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Name:  87BC2D75-2294-4711-8B0B-9EED16BAC5CB.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  186.2 KBThe cap seen here circled in red, I believe this is the oil crossover for the pcv system that is not needed on the LS3 because I am using the valley port on front of the engine.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

That cap looks like its the shipping plug/cap for the PVC system. Needs to plumbed into the PVC system.

Yes PCV port. You will need to use at least one of those in addition to the port on the valley pan. Do some research to make sure you get it plumbed right.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I am using the the pcv port on the pass side along with the valley pan. Everything I researched made it sound like only two of the three ports are necessary, so I left the one on the drivers side alone.

I did not know if the plug it came with would be sufficient on its own or if I would need to use something else to plug. Can I just hose clamp the plug the motor came with or is there a better, more aesthetic option?

With an oil leak coming from that area it was my first thought that I may just need a hose clamp but I wanted to verify my pressure sounded good as well. Thanks for all your help guys I don’t know what I would do without the boards!

Passenger side one goes into the intake in between the throttle body and maf . Drivers side gets capped off

I'm no expert BUT the left side port you circled is a PVC port. Not like the old days with the with the PCV valve like on the early LS1's but it has a specific hole size. Again no expert but it should be attached to the throttle body "behind" the throttle blade pulling vacuum. The other tube on the right side valve cover should be plumbed into the intake tube after the mass air flow sensor but before the throttle body. This allows air to circulate thru the engine.
      Check with the folks on a LSTech.com to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      I'm no expert BUT the left side port you circled is a PVC port. Not like the old days with the with the PCV valve like on the early LS1's but it has a specific hole size. Again no expert but it should be attached to the throttle body "behind" the throttle blade pulling vacuum. The other tube on the right side valve cover should be plumbed into the intake tube after the mass air flow sensor but before the throttle body. This allows air to circulate thru the engine.
      Check with the folks on a LSTech.com to confirm.

That port can be capped. The passenger side port pulls air in from the intake tube after MAF but before TB. The valley port is connected to the intake manifold to burn. The drive by wire TBs do not have vacuum ports.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com