Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      What if he wired in a 3rd one like gm did on the 4th gens? Then low kicks both fans on at 6v and high both get 12? Would that lower that initial hit?

Or scrap it and get a DCC controller. Attachment 168027
      That is a great way of wiring your fans! Thanks for posting that!
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      Here's an old trick for your alternator.

Put a diode in series at the alternator on the excite/trigger wire. What the diode does is drops the voltage by about .6v. The alternator is tricked into working harder to compensate for the ~1/2V difference it is seeing. Might help you a lot with the voltages your are seeing.

We use to do it all the time back in the car stereo days....

Richard
      That trick would work on the remote sense wire of the alternator but I don't think it will work on the excite/trigger wire. Regardless it's not going to work on a one wire alternator that self excites and has no remote sense.

One way to help determine why the DD gauge does not match the real voltage is to put your meter probe on the ground terminal of DD controller and put the other lead on a known good body ground (preferably away from the controller). If you're seeing anything other than 0V then you now know that there is a grounding issue somewhere in the harness. It's best to do this test while under heavy load conditions when the gauge is misreading.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      That trick would work on the remote sense wire of the alternator but I don't think it will work on the excite/trigger wire. Regardless it's not going to work on a one wire alternator that self excites and has no remote sense.

One way to help determine why the DD gauge does not match the real voltage is to put your meter probe on the ground terminal of DD controller and put the other lead on a known good body ground (preferably away from the controller). If you're seeing anything other than 0V then you now know that there is a grounding issue somewhere in the harness. It's best to do this test while under heavy load conditions when the gauge is misreading.
      Thanks! I've never heard of doing that, will do.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I think there are (2) problems. First is them spal fans have to spin 30,000 RPM to achieve their “advertised” CFM-blade/motor design is weak compared to OEM fans, so there’s one reason why the inferior motor design has to pull crazy amperage to compensate-but hey, Spal does a good job with advertising so they must be great fans.

Second is imo whoever wired your DD volt gauge should have put the sensing wire ahead of all power drawing components-not just tap into a fuse panel IGN bussbar or whatever. You really need to have 1 central junction from which all of your devices pull power from and land that sense wire there too. This way, the gauge will read as fast as the alternators’ regulator reacts to changes in voltage fluctuations. As for soft start fan control harnesses using relays, they exist because I build them but a good DC Controls unit should be able to handle those Spal fans...even your DD controller should too...oftentimes the reliability of a fan controller is directly related to how well thought the installer made the process.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogbodies View Post
      I think there are (2) problems. First is them spal fans have to spin 30,000 RPM to achieve their “advertised” CFM-blade/motor design is weak compared to OEM fans, so there’s one reason why the inferior motor design has to pull crazy amperage to compensate-but hey, Spal does a good job with advertising so they must be great fans.

Second is imo whoever wired your DD volt gauge should have put the sensing wire ahead of all power drawing components-not just tap into a fuse panel IGN bussbar or whatever. You really need to have 1 central junction from which all of your devices pull power from and land that sense wire there too. This way, the gauge will read as fast as the alternators’ regulator reacts to changes in voltage fluctuations. As for soft start fan control harnesses using relays, they exist because I build them but a good DC Controls unit should be able to handle those Spal fans...even your DD controller should too...oftentimes the reliability of a fan controller is directly related to how well thought the installer made the process.
      DD gauges don’t have a dedicated voltmeter sense wire. They just read the power applied to the interface module.

DD fan controller uses external customer supplied relays

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That's true but I would treat the constant power terminal of the DD gauge as if it was the voltage sense terminal and use a dedicated wire from the fuse block otherwise you do risk measuring the voltage drop of a wire that may be powering a high current device like the blower fan.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      That's true but I would treat the constant power terminal of the DD gauge as if it was the voltage sense terminal and use a dedicated wire from the fuse block otherwise you do risk measuring the voltage drop of a wire that may be powering a high current device like the blower fan.
      Agreed. My goal was to prevent the OP from going crazy searching for his DD voltmeter sense wire...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

My reply might be a little late, but I had the exact same thing happen with my setup. I'm using a SPAL fan setup with a relay. I'd be running 14 volts and the minute I turn on the fan, it would drop down to 12 volts or a little below.
      I found out my ground wire was way to small. I ran a 1/O awg wire from my - on my battery in my trunk, up to a grounding terminal which holds all my ground points for my components and then used the same size cable and grounded my motor to the chassis.
      Now I have a solid 14 volts at all times.

I am going to be buying this serpentine setup soon and I don't think they offer a smaller alternator pulley anyway: https://www.cvfracing.com/stealth-bl...ic-water-pump/

I would suggest you look elsewhere.....Yea nice folks to talk to.

Lets see.....I broke a engine block due to their instructions being backwards. The stuff just doesn't line up well either.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog5 View Post
      I would suggest you look elsewhere.....Yea nice folks to talk to.

Lets see.....I broke a engine block due to their instructions being backwards. The stuff just doesn't line up well either.
      That's certainly not good to hear. From what I can tell, they are the only game in town for an OEM looking serpentine setup on a Pontiac that supports an electric water pump...
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com