Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Steering hard on center after suspension upgrade

On my 69 Firebird, I just completed a total suspension and rear end upgrade. Literally every part Hotchkis makes for it (less the handle bars because of my A/C compressor) plus a couple of things from Global West (solid body drop mounts and spherical leaf bushings). I also upgraded my 14" Rally IIs to 17" look-a-likes.

I took it to get an alignment this morning from my usual guy and that went ok. On my way there I noticed the steering was really hard on center, figured after the alignment it would be just as before.

Well, it's not.

Basically, the steering feels VERY heavy when going straight and is a tiny bit of a handful to keep going straight because of this. The moment it goes off center either way she wants to turn like a pro.

I made sure to tighten everything with the front suspension loaded of course but maybe something is too tight? Could sway bar end links being too tight cause this issue?

I'm not sure what is the cause, everything seems to articulate perfectly with zero squeaks or sounds. I thought maybe my power steering pump went South from the car being parked for 3-4 months even though it's only a couple years old and I did notice it was a tiny bit low on fluid. I sucked some out and added Lucas power steering treatment and went for a test drive. Same issue.

I drove the car for about 10-15 miles on some fairly rough pavement thinking maybe something needed to settle. No change.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Check your rag joint for binding. Changing the subframe mounts may have caused binding or bent something if you separated the sub from the unibody too far when doing it.
      I'd loosen the steering box bolts and turn the wheel a bit to help it line up again. If you went to half height mounts there may be too much pressure on it.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I did go with the 1/2" drop mounts. Damn. When I did the install I only lifted the body absolutely barely enough to slip them in, so it must be bind from the lower height I'd think. I'll check.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and do what you suggest with loosening the bolts and turning the wheel to see if that helps.

Thank a lot!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I would think that if the problem was caused by the lower body bushings and a resulting mis-alignment of the steering column, that you would feel the tight spot every 180deg rotation of the steering wheel not just the center. I would be more inclined to think something is not clearing in the steering linkage maybe the center link for example since you presumably replaced the pitman and idler arms. I have seen instances where the center link was installed backwards causing clearance issues. I have also seen far too many mediocre mechanics who may or may not catch such a mistake.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Yes I'd loosen the steering box to see if it lines itself up better. If not, you may have to slot the steering column plate holes at the firewall to adjust height there.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I'm on a business trip but will be able to do this over the weekend.

I did a search and also found a few people loosening their steering column as you suggest as well.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I wonder if there are too many shims in the pressure relief valve.. I had this happen to me once....

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+p...rwEbIYM:&vet=1

Just to update...

It was in fact just bind on the rag joint. I loosened all of the fasteners for the steering column and the bolt for the rag joint on the steering box input shaft. I was able to move the column a full 1/4" in or out so after many tries I got it right in the middle at 1/8" and tightened everything back up. Feels just as before now.

Thanks!

Next upgrade will be a TurnOne steering box and a custom valved power steering pump. The factory power steering has always been too light for my taste and I'd like a little bit of a heavier feel that's nice and consistent lock to lock. I'll also be doing a Hydraboost so I need to make sure everything plays nice and gives me the steering and brake pedal feel I'm shooting for.

1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com